O N E

This house has become without a doubt the nosiest place I have ever inhabited. And I have lived on a concert stage for a better part of my childhood.

My little brother Ollie has been given a drum set by dad for his eighth birthday, and guess where the little bugger's room is.

"Ollie, for the love of God!" I hit the wall directly adjacent to his, only to be responded to by more incessant noise.

"A bloody drum kit, brilliant idea dad," I mutter to myself as I slip on a light jacket over my skirt and t-shirt and grab my purse. I'm sure anywhere would be better than here.

As I make my way down the stairs, dad's making a cuppa tea and slicing some bread.

"I'm going out," I say, expecting a response, but not getting any whatsoever. "Dad?" he doesn't even blink, only continues slicing in that infuriatingly slow fashion.

I tap his shoulder and he jumps, obviously startled, "Ems?" He brushes away a curl from his ear and pulls out an earplug, "Don't do that!"

"Are those earplugs?"

"Oh, these?" he points the foam now in his palm. He smiles at me and shrugs, "Maybe."

"You didn't think about giving some of those to me. I have to sleep next to him, you know?"

He simply chuckles and looks at my outfit, "Are you going out?"

"That's what I was trying to tell you."

"Ah, well then. Don't be back too late."

I turn and head towards the door, "I'll be back when Ollie's asleep and at least five feet away from those bloody things."

As the cool summer air hits my skin I smile to myself and pull out my phone and dial Janice. As always, it is only after the first ring that she picks up, "Ems?"

"Jan, let's go to the pub, yeah?"

"You want to go to a pub, Ems?" She asks in a rather confused tone. The last time we had been to a pub was when we had just turned eighteen. We had ended up drinking only a pint each.

"We're almost twenty and have only been twice, what kind of bloody teenagers are we?"

"Alright, I'll put on something presentable."

"I'll meet you in five in front of your house!"

As I walk to Janice's house, I study the sky. Tonight it felt so much more vibrant. As if the stars were reaching out to kiss my pale skin. Beside the minor inconvenience with Ollie, tonight felt as if it would be mine.

"Ems!" I turn to look and see that I am already at her house, the walk shorter than usual. Janice runs towards me, wearing a cute pink dress I had given her last term.

"Hi Janice." I say wrapping her in a hug. She steps back looking at me very confused.

"Have you started drinking without me, Ems?"

"Why do you say that?"

"You haven't hugged me in ages. You're not the hugging type." She says with a slight smile. My best friend had blossomed this summer, her brown mousy hair had grown thicker and longer, and as I suggested she had cut it into layers to make it look even better. The dress hugged her thin figure perfectly, showing off the chest I was always a bit jealous of.

"Tonight, I feel alive."

"You're bloody pissed." She says looking at me with a very amused smile.

"Janice, I haven't started drinking...yet. I don't know quite what's gotten into me, but let's make the most of it. Cheers, my love!" I say running out ahead of her.

"Emma, wait!" She runs after me, giggling wildly.

Tonight would most definitely be one of those nights.

---

"One more Jan! Come on you can do it!"

Janice looks at me wearily, already more than a little tipsy. She looks at the glass I had placed in her hand and reluctantly swigged it back. It was like pure honey going down our throats, but the face she made had made it look otherwise.

I look towards the bar once more, more than a little pissed of my ass. I had been eyeing the tall stranger nursing a pint. He looked so good in the tight white t-shirt he was wearing, and although I hadn't seen his face, I could already tell it would be magnificent as well.

"Ems, if you want to snog him do it already. I don't want to sit here watching you drool over him all night."

I take another shot and smile, "Janice, I can't simply snog him. I don't even know him."

"Don't you ever want to let go a bit, Ems?"

"Don't you Janice?"

She smiles cockily whilst locking eyes with me, "You know I always follow your lead."

"Oh is that so?"

I watch as the stranger heads to the loo, and Janice follow my line of sight.

"I dare you to follow him into the loo and snog him."

I take one more shot, as if it were the liquid courage I needed. I get up from my seat, adjust my skirt and then my hair, and then finally turn and wink at Janice.

"Challenge accepted."

---

My head spins as I walk the short distance to the toilets. I was not this type of girl, not in any sort of way. But tonight, tonight I wanted to be.

I open the door, which he had left unlocked and smile to myself. I walk up behind him, switching off the lights.

"The fuck?" He says, a strong accent already showing through those two mere words he had uttered.

"Shhh." I whisper, pressing myself against him. He tried to push me away, oh how he tried. But I broke his resolve, pressing my lips upon his with such force, even I was taken aback.

He pressed me against the cool tile wall, taking control. He smelled familiar, like home. I ran my hands through his hair and it felt as if it were silk, so soft and smooth. I moaned lightly as he pressed onto me harder.

A voice suddenly intrudes on our unexpected encounter, knocking roughly on the door,"Niall? Mate, what did you do fall in?"

Within an instant I felt my drunkenness cease. The liquid courage had evaporated into pure cowardice.

"Niall?" I whisper, immediately regretting it.

He flips on the light, and I try to run out quickly before he sees my face. Janice stands up as soon as she sees me running towards her, "What happened?"

And then she sees him running behind me, "Is that Niall!?"

"Janice?" I hear a thick voice ask. "Emma?" Repeats the same voice. So unfamiliar, but so much like a home I once knew.

Please tell me this is some drunken nightmare, induced by the endless shots we had taken earlier.

"Emma, is that you?"

"Fuck." Janice says in a whisper.

"Emma?"

"Hi." I say raising my hand shakily without turning around, "Been a while, hasn't it?"