F I F T Y

As I drive, the sun sets, leaving only the headlights to illuminate the dark road. Janice had fallen asleep about twenty minutes ago, leaving the car silent.

Nervous as I may have been to drive, I found myself at peacemaking my away to the little inn. As the stars began to appear in the dark sky, and the road became emptier and emptier, I found my heart starting to palpitate loudly. My stomach was in knots.

And no, it wasn't because of the driving.

Niall had left for so long before, he had left me before. But never have I gone after him. Never have I had the courage, the will, or the strength to go after him. I always waited for him to come to me. I waited for everything to neatly fall back into place, without me ever having to do anything. I never thought I would have to do anything, I would leave my life entirely up to fate. And never would I have thought I would change. Never would I have thought that I would be driving down a dark road, counting the miles til I would see him again. Never would I have thought that one day, one day I would run after him. That one day I would be the one the close the distance between us. That one day I would be ready to run after my fate, to be ready to change it.

This road is not only leading me to him, but showing me that I have to take control over my life. I had to be ready to go after what I wanted.

But more importantly, I had to let Niall know that I was finally ready to run.

–❈–

By the time we arrive at the Inn at Manchester, Janice is snoring lightly. She has yet to come to, and quite honestly, knowing her sleeping habits, I knew it would be a struggle to wake her up.

"Jan?" I try softly, trying not to startle her. I lightly tap her shoulder, she merely shifts a bit in her sleep and rests her head against the glass. "Jan?" I say a bit louder. She doesn't move and I roll my eyes.

I knew I would have to startle her, even though I didn't particularly want to.

I tap her shoulder a bit harder only to receive a small grunt. When I tap her harder, almost making her entire shoulder shake, she opens her eyes in a startle.

"What!?" She exclaims in a rather sleepy voice.

"We're here." I say pointing to the inn before us.

She yawns loudly and looks around, "So you made it all the way out here."

"No thanks to you."

"I was tired!"

"So was I! And I had no one to keep me company."

"Well, we're here now." She says as she stretches and yawns, "Are we getting out or what?"

"Yeah." My voice quivers in one single syllable. I was amazed at how unable I was to keep my cool.

"Ems, it'll be okay." She says starting to open the passenger door.

"Yeah." I try to say a bit more convincingly.

"You're not fooling anyone." She mutters as she closes the door.

I climb out of my own seat and lock the car, walking around and staring at Janice as she smiles at me. "Stop worrying. It. Will. Be. Fine."

"Why are you so sure about this?"

"Because you need someone to tell you that what you know is true, is actually true."

I smirk, "I know this to be true?"

"Would you be out here if it wasn't?" Janice starts to walk towards the entrance, leaving me behind with her words still floating around me.

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't sure, would I? Could it just be I was scaring myself for no reason?

"Ems, come on!"

"Coming!"

–❈–

"What do you mean room 218 is occupied!?"

The girl across the glossy ceramic reception desk looks at me, clearly uninterested, "Precisely what I said." She takes a breath before continuing, "That room is taken." She lays her thin fingers upon the glitter surface and lets her long lacquered nails clack against it, "I can offer you another, but not..." She sighs, "That one."

"I need that one." I try to argue.

"There isn't anything I can do." She says running a hand through her short wavy brunette hair, clearly done with the conversation and with me.

"Look." Janice says pushing me aside and smilingly a sickeningly sweet smile at the girl, "Could you at least let us know if you found anything in the room while it was being cleaned? Or if anyone left anything for that room?"

The girl rolls her eyes, "One second." She turns around and gets on the phone, muttering something, and finally turns back to say in a tone dripping with boredom, "Someone that can help you will be right down."

The girl sways her hips dramatically as she steps out from behind the counter and walks down one of the corridors.

"What a twat." Janice mutters when the girl is far enough that she wouldn't hear us.

"Seriously."

We both turn to lean against the counter and sigh simultaneously. Janice huffs before asking, "Do you think this was a part of his plan?"

"I don't think it was..."

Janice twirls a lock of her hair around her finger, studying it, "Then...what do we do if it wasn't?"

"I don't-"

But before I can answer I'm cut off by a soothing voice, "Hello, girls. Welcome." A tall woman with flowing caramel colored locks says as she approaches us.

"Hi." I say, studying her face. She looked familiar.

"Welcome to the Inn at Manchester. Lexi tells me you had a question?" She says extending a delicate looking hand towards me.

I nod and take her hand, "Yes, well. I know this is going to sound strange but...I think there's something for me in room 218."

"Is there now?" She asks.

"Yes, but the problem is that the room was occupied, so as we kindly asked Lexi, we just wanted to know if anything was left for me under that room number."

"Room 218 you say?" The woman goes behind the counter, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear and revealing a diamond stud. She clicks away at the keyboard, smiling to herself. "Well, you see, the problem is we weren't expect your for quite a while, Emma."

"What?"

"You are Emma right?"

"Yes..."

"I'm Zoe." She says with a wide, toothy smile.

"Oh! You're Auntie Sophia's sister."

"Yes."

"But wait...what do you mean you weren't expecting me for a few more days?"