N I N E

I stand in front of the open car door, staring down Niall. He doesn't back down, and neither do I.

"Emma, I said get in the car." He says in a low voice.

"I said, make me." I reply slowly.

Janice simply looks between us, not sure what to do, "Ems, just get in the car, babe."

"I said I don't want to. I'll bloody walk home if I have to!"

I hear the car door slam from Niall's side and hear him coming around the car, "Get in the fucking car."

"I'm not getting in the car." I turn to walk away, but Niall grabs me from the waist, attempting to force me into the passenger seat.

"Let her go, she said she doesn't want to go with you!" I turn to look in the direction of the voice that had come to my defense. It couldn't be...

Niall's grip loosened,"This doesn't concern you, mate. I suggest you leave before I do what I should have done inside." He holds me to him, not tightly. But almost as if he didn't want me to go.

Lucas steps forward, his eyes only looking at me, "Are you okay? Do you want me to take you home?"

"I said it doesn't concern you." Niall says letting go of me completely.

"And I wasn't asking you." Lucas says stepping closer. "Emma, do you want me to take you home."

I'm dumbfounded, didn't this boy... just mere minutes ago...run from Niall?

"Yeah. I'd like that much more." I say stepping away from Niall and heading towards Lucas.

"Ems, don't do this." Janice urges, grabbing my arm.

I yank it away from her, and she looks as if I've just slapped her.

I walk towards Lucas, leaving both Janice and Niall behind. And as terrible as it may sound, I am quite pleased at Niall's reaction, pure and utter silence.

As I walk off with Lucas, I could still feel his stare upon my back.

I would most likely pay for this later, I knew I would, but for now I would take satisfaction in this small defeat.

–--

"I thought you said you weren't in a relationship." Lucas says walking next to me, hands in the pockets of his skinny jeans.

"It's fucking complicated." I mutter.

The moonlight illuminates the dark street, and I struggle walking straight. The alcohol had rushed to my head, making each step more uncertain than the last.

"You okay?" he asks.

I turn to look at him, the dim light outlining his strong jaw and broad shoulders. He was wearing a t-shirt of some irrelevant band, and his pants were way too tight. I study him, unabashedly, too tipsy to care how awkward it may seem.

"Emma?"

"Oh, yeah. Sorry."

I decided, rather quickly, that although he may have been gorgeous, he was certainly not my type.

"So, you want to tell me what exactly happened back there."

"Not really." I say, walking quicker. I really just wanted to be home.

"You're doing this to spite that guy aren't you?"

I stop and look at him, "So?"

"Kind of childish, Emma. Isn't it?"

Okay, I really didn't like him now.

"This really isn't any of your business, mate. I appreciate you bringing me home but...oh," I say turning around and pointing towards my house, "look I'm here. So thank you, but I'm going to go now."

"Emma, you don't have to be a bitch. I really just want to help."

I grit my teeth, trying to resist the urge to punch him in the face, "You've helped enough, Lucas. I assure you." I start walking towards my house, not bothering to turn back. "Goodbye, Lucas. Nice running into you."

Niall was right, what a wanker.

–--

"You're home?" Dad says the moment I walk in, he's sitting at the counter with a cuppa tea and his glasses perched on his nose, "Alone?"

"Wondering where Niall is?" I say sharply.

"Well, yeah. You left the house with him."

I sigh loudly and make my way up the stairs, too tired to pick another fight. I had to choose these battles wisely.

I enter my room, already looking forward to my pajamas and comforters. I walk around getting ready for bed, slipping on my favorite t-shirt and wiping off all of my make up.

And as I finally enter my bed I groan loudly, as if lying down had released all of my negative thoughts.

Lucas was right, I was a bitch. He was totally and completely right. How could I just leave Niall behind like that? How I could shut him down?

But how, how could Niall and I ever be anything? Even if we loved each other, even if we were inevitable, why does it matter when the whole world is against us?

I shouldn't have talked to him that way though.

Ugh, my bloody head hurt already, I had to stop going to that pub.

"Emma?"

"Yeah?" I say weakly.

"Love, are you alright?" Mum says sitting on the corner of my bed.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just tired."

"Why didn't you come home with Niall?"

I sit up on my elbows and look at mum, "I...we...we had a bit of a spat."

"You both fought? You and Uncle Niall?"

"Is it that unbelievable?"

"Honestly, yes." Mum says with a sad smile.

"I should say I'm sorry."

"Maybe you both should."

Her words immediately make me feel pathetic and petty. I did go too far.

"Maybe I should."

I immediately feel tears spring to my eyes, and wish for just a moment that I could ten again. Before I realized that I loved Niall, before he had left, before every single thing in my life had changed.

"Emma?" I feel mum move closer and wrap an arm around my shoulders, "It'll be okay. Your Uncle Niall loves you more than anything in the world, it isn't the end of you two."

I sniffle pathetically, "What if it is?"

"Emma, don't be ridiculous." she says rubbing my back, "It's like you two are inevitable."

"Did dad tell you that story too?" I say, feeling a smile coming on.

"He's told it much too many times, love. But, it's better than the knock knock jokes."

I giggle, wiping tears off my face.

"Don't worry, Ems. In the end, it'll work out."

"I hope so." I whisper.

I really do.