F I F T Y - F O U R

This was too perfect. It was coincidentally too perfect. Never had the world truly worked in my favor, so of course, when something like this occurs it's natural to be suspicious....right?

I mean, what is the bloody catch?

"Emma! Come on!" Janice says slamming the dashboard and getting me out of my daze, "Get a move on it then!"

"Yeah." I mutter.

We approach the Holyhead ferry, my hands grasping the wheel tightly. As soon as we're almost upon the loading dock, a balding man in baggy work clothes approaches the window. He signals for me to roll it down as I stop the car.

"Ello, love." He says, wiping his brow, the sun was hitting hard today.

"Hello..."

"Are you Emma?"

My eyes widen, "Yes."

"We've been waiting for you, love! Thought you'd never show! Had to tell Zoe you had about ten more minutes before we had to get a move on!" He chuckles, leaning against the door of the car.

"Zoe?"

"The pretty little lass that owns the inn! She called me up this morning and made me swear I wouldn't leave without you!"

"What?"

Janice mutters, "I told her we weren't going to make the ferry as we were running out."

"You did?"

She nods.

"Well then, taking the car are we?" The man asks.

"Yes." I say, still a bit shocked, trying to take the key out of the ignition.

"I'll take that then. Don't worry, it's in good hands."

"Where do we pay for our fare?" Janice asks, unbuckling her seat belt and opening the passenger door.

"Zoe took care of everything, you two are clear to go in." He says opening my door and pointing to the ferry.

"What? Really?" Janice asks.

"Yes! Now, have a good time. We'll unload the car once we hit Ireland."

"Thank you so much...." I pause, realizing I hadn't caught his name.

"Richard."

"Thank you so much Richard."

"My pleasure Miss Emma. Now please, we've been long enough! Get on with it you two!" He says shooing us away.

We watch as he starts the car and starts loading it onto the ferry, still a bit taken aback.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to repay her." I mumble, looking out at the shimmering waves.

"All you have to do is live happily ever after, Ems. That's enough for all of us."

–❈–

The ferry was rather luxurious. The Stena, its name, was plastered everywhere in a curly wannabe sophisticated font. As we attempted to get a bottle of water and a snack, we were given napkins with the obnoxious font and even my bloody bottle proudly displayed the insignia.

"What a nuisance." I mutter ripping the paper off the plastic bottle.

"Could have gotten a prettier font to match the interior of the boat." Janice says looking around in awe.

"Yeah." I say looking out the large, spacious windows.

"What's that?" She asks pointing to the charm on my neck. "Isn't that like the thing you've got painted in your room?"

"Huh?" I look down and gently touch the paper plane charm, "Yeah. It is."

"Did your dad give it to you?"

"Yeah."

"Is there another one?"

I nod.

"Wait...did he give you that one too?"

"Yep." I look away from her with a slight smile on my face.

"Did he...give you the other one too?"

"Yes."

"For...Niall?"

"Mmhmm."

She smiles, "You two are even going to have matching jewelry now, wonderful."

"Attention ladies and gentleman," announces a loudspeaker, "We will be arriving shortly to Dun Laohaire Port. Please prepare to leave the ship. We hope you had a pleasant experience upon the The Stena, and hope to see you again. Happy travels, and welcome to Ireland."

"Rather chipper isn't she." Janice says looking above me at the speaker.

"We're taking the car to Mullingar, right?" I ask grabbing my purse.

"Yes, about two hours as well."

"Are you ready?" I ask looking at her as I get up to leave.

"I think the question would be are you ready?"

As we head towards the doorway, a knot in my stomach tells me I'm not. But I push it away, instead saying "I've been waiting for what feels like forever for this day."

–❈–

After collecting the keys to our car at the front of the dock, we find ourselves back on the road again. This journey seemed endless, but, we were finally in Ireland. It felt like we were actually almost there.

"Do you want me to drive for a bit?" Janice offers.

"Maybe after we stop for a bit? I am rather hungry."

"Should we stop somewhere?"

"I'm pretty sure there should be something up ahead."

We continue driving, pasture after lush green pasture. And then we see it, a small little stop right off the side of the road.

"There?" Janice asks.

"Yeah, why not. We deserve some rest."

We were so close, so bloody close. A little rest never hurt anyone, right?