S I X T Y

I knew from the very beginning, from the moment that I realized I loved Niall, that this would not end well. That the love I had for him, the love that was deep within my heart would ultimately have to stay there. That I would never be able to express it to him.

But here we were. Eight years later, ready to begin again. Together.

"Princess?"

I look up to see Niall, pack in hand, keys in the other, ready to close the door to his house, paper airplane glimmering from around his neck. He looks at me with a smile, "Are you ready?"

"Yeah, of course."

Finally, we were heading back home. Albeit, two days later, at least we had managed to leave Niall's house. Honestly, I could live here forever with him, never wanting to see the rest of the outside world. There was no point. Everything I could ever possibly need was right there with him. He was it. And it made it increasingly difficult to pack up and return to reality.

I take one last look at his home, and step out of the door, my body pressing against his slightly as I struggle to get out. He smirks at me, purposely not moving an inch, knowing that we both wouldn't fit through the door.

"You could move." I say looking up at him pointedly.

He chuckles, "Nah."

I hear him slamming his door as I approach his car. He opens the door for me, throws my pack in the back and finally gets in the driver's seat.

"Primrose Hills, here we come." He says smilingly as he presses buttons into his GPS.

"Oh God." I breath out. Knowing that we were less than six hours away from being reunited with dad. Perhaps, perhaps things will work themselves out like they have so far. Maybe things will go back to normal.

"Emma?"

"Yeah."

He starts the car, slipping on his Ray Bans before pulling out of the driveway. "I don't know how things will work out between your dad and I..."

Why does he always do that? Am I that easy to read?

"And I don't know what the public will think. Hell, I don't even know how my own family will feel."

"Yeah. I know."

"But, I know one thing..."

"What's that?"

"We've made it this far, princess. We've made it this far together."

"Yeah. Yeah we have."

As the car starts upon a more barren road, his hand slips into mine. His large, callused fingers intertwining with my own.

"Do you think..." I start, not quite looking at him. "That this is wrong. That maybe, maybe we really shouldn't be together?"

"Why do you think that?"

"I don't know. Do girls usually fancy their Uncles?"

"What about that Oedipal complex? Girls loving their fathers and all that fucked up psychology shit? Don't they have that for Uncles?"

I look up at him blankly,"First of all, that would be boys loving their mothers. The girl version would be...Electra complex? Anyways, that's beside the point."

"Should I start calling you Electra then?" I slap his hand and he laughs loudly, "Just a joke, Ems."

"What do you think the world will say? What will they say about you dating the daughter of your best friend?"

"What does it matter? I'm a free man. I can do as I please. And if Harry's...alright....then why should anyone else say shit about it?"

"I doubt dad's alright."

"Well, he's on his road to being about there right?"

"Maybe after he gets in a few more hits."

Niall unconsciously touches his nose and I know he's thinking of the solid punch had landed not too long ago.

"Look, Emma, baby...we're fucking fireproof, okay? People can say whatever the fuck they want. Fuck them if they don't think we don't belong together. Iknow we belong together. Don't you?"

"Yeah. I know. I know we do. But Niall?"

"Yes?"

"For the love of God, don't call me baby. I really don't need daddy issues as well."

He looks at me, a slight flush across his face as he realizes that that's what dad calls me. His baby. And he's caught between wanting to laugh and wanting to vomit.

"So, how much longer do we have until we get home?"

"A long ways, princess."

"Well, I do like the scenic route." I mumble, holding his hand tightly.

"Any route would do just fine, as long as you hold my hand all the way there."

"So fucking cliche." I mutter, hiding my smile.

"But imagine if I weren't a cliched fuck. Who else would tell you that your eyes shine like the sun upon waves ? Who would finish your sentences?"

"I never thought Niall James Horan was a cliched man though. I just thought..."

"Thought?"

"That you could never be better than in my wildest dreams."

"And did I live up to the expectations?"

"No."

He turns to look at me, tipping his head so I could see his baby blue eyes.

"You surpassed them in every way imaginable."