F O U R T E E N

"Oh, good morning, mum," I say in a whisper, praying that dad would not hear us.

"Good morning, mum? Is that all you're really going to say to me?" She also lowers her voice, knowing that she didn't want to involve dad either.

"I was with Janice."

"I don't care who you were with, it's almost seven in the bloody morning, Emma."

"I'm sorry."

"You're still living in this house, even if it is for the summer."

"I know," I mutter.

"And I know you weren't with Janice."

"What?"

She pushes me into my room and closes the door, "Where were you really?"

"Mum, I was with Janice at the bloody pub. Where else would I go?"

"Really, then why did I see an SUV drop you off?" She tilts her head and squints at me, "Weren't you with your Uncle Niall yesterday?"

"What, were you using binoculars?"

"Obviously not, or I would have gotten the plates!"

I sigh loudly, "Alright, I get it."

"No, you are not brushing me off this time. I may act like a pushover, but Emma, your dad spent the entire night waiting for you to come home. He was worried sick! And you didn't answer my question, Emma."

"What?"

"Weren't you with your Uncle Niall?"

I sigh loudly, "Only for the afternoon. I went out with Janice afterwards."

"Only for the afternoon?"

"Yes."

She furrows her brow, "Wasn't that your Uncle Niall's car that dropped you off?"

"No."

"Emma."

"I said no."

I hear the door open and immediately we both turn to look.

"What's all the ruckus?" Dad ask sleepily running a hand through his disheveled curls. "Emma? Where have you been all night?" His tone wasn't one of anger, just one of pure worry.

"I was out with Janice at the pub nearby."

He yawns and smiles, "So you're alright?"

"Yeah."

He walks towards me and wraps me in his embrace, "Just don't do it again without calling to let us know you're alright."

"Okay."

Mum shakes her head as dad shuffles back out into the hallway and in the direction of their bed.

"You're lucky he's so in love with you Emma. You could do no wrong in his eyes."

"Yeah..."

"But in mine. Hmm. To be decided." She arches an eyebrow and smirks at me, "Go to bed, I'll wake you up in the afternoon."

"Love you." I say as she leaves the room.

"Me too, Ems. Go to sleep."

As she closes the door, I exhale loudly. My heart races at the thought of just mere hours earlier.

I was in deep.

–❈–

I awaken hours later, still in my clothes from last night. I get out of bed and open the door just a crack, immediately I hear laughter and the unmistakable sound of Niall's Irish accent.