T W E N T Y - F I V E

I knew that she was right. Deep down in my heart I knew that she was. But I didn't want to believe her. How could I? They're my family, they're supposed to love me regardless of whatever I do. Unconditional, their love is supposed to be unconditional.

But, she was right.

God knows I didn't want her to be, but she was. Unconditional love would not be enough to remedy this problem.

"Emma, please, please don't do this." She pleads. Her eyes about to overflow. "I know that right now it feels like he's your entire world, and that you couldn't live without him, but when that all fades, when it all goes away...what are you going to have? If this breaks our family, if it's the end of this relationship we have, where are you going to go when you and Niall don't work out?"

"But...what if we do?" I whisper pathetically.

"Emma."

"Mum, what if we do? What if...what if we end up happy together? What if we spend the rest of our lives together?" Wow, that was a very big if. I hadn't even thought of that before.

"Love, I know that it feels that way right now..."

"No. That's not fair."

"Life isn't fair, Ems."

"Really? Because the way I see it, you and dad fought the odds and won. So why can't I do the same?"

"Emma." She says in a strained voice, "It's not the same."

"It's not the same so it doesn't count?" I say, my voice going up an octave, "Everyone's love is different, mum. We don't choose who we love...it just happens."

She reaches out to me, wanting me to sit next to her on the bed. I go to her without hesitation, her arms embracing me tightly.

"Baby, I don't know what to say." Mum mutters into my hair. I could feel droplets of her tears upon my scalp.

"I don't know what to do." I say into her shoulder. "I'm sorry I said that the other day mum." I finally say, tilting my head up slightly to look into her eyes, "I didn't mean it."

She smiles sadly, "It's okay, love. It's okay." She runs a hand through my hair wistfully, untangling it carefully. "Emma?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry too."

"For what?"

"Maybe this is my fault for encouraging you...I never thought that...that Niall would ever..."

"It's not your fault mum. Love is just fucking weird."

She squints her eyes slightly, but allows me to swear without chiding me, "Do you really love him?"

I nod my head slightly, looking away from her. She sighs deeply and rubs her temples, "We're royally screwed aren't we then?"

"What do you think dad will do if he finds out?"

Mum's face pales, "If? You mean when, darling. It's only a matter of time now."

–❈–

After the chat with mum, things calmed down around the house. Although she was still weary about Niall, she let her guard down a bit and still allowed him to come over. Do not be mistaken though, she only did this for dad's benefit. She didn't want him to suspect anything.

"Do you want me to help you clear the table?" Niall asks mum after Sunday dinner. Mum though, gives him a look that has him stepping away immediately. "Guess not..." he mumbles, giving me wide eyes.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" I ask Niall. He nods and I tilt my head towards the stairs, since dad and Ollie were watching something in the living room.

As we enter my room I point to the rack upon the wall holding my movies. Niall busies himself looking through them and picks one out at random. He hands it to me to pop in the player, and goes to sit down upon my bed.

"Should I even be in here?" He says rather nervously.

"You've been in here before."

"But...now..."

"Are you scared of mum?" I say in an amused tone, turning to sit next to him.

"Are you kidding me? Of course I'm scared of Edie."

I laugh, "I would be too if I were you."

He lays a hand over mine, and smiles, "I'm sorry this is such a mess, princess. I wish I could fix it."

"Hey! Door open, and no funny business!" Mum says peering into my doorway. Niall immediately removes his hand from mine upon seeing her.

I roll my eyes, "Really mum, what do you think we're going to do?"

"The door is open..." Niall says with a smirk.

"I want you out of the house no later then ten. And for the love of God Niall, don't let Harry see you here sleeping in the same bed as my daughter. Have some decency."

She walks away, obviously annoyed and Niall sighs, "I feel like I'm a fucking teenager again."

"Well," I say with a smirk, "You are kind of dating one."

"Don't say it like that, I'll feel like a pervert."

"Fine, let's just watch the movie then."

"Can we still have a bit of a cuddle?"

I get up and walk to end of the hallway, it sounded like dad and Ollie would be preoccupied for a while.

"Only for five minutes." I say walking back into the room and practically jumping onto his lap. He laughs, kissing my cheek and wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I am a fucking teenager again." He says shaking his head. "I can't believe I'm at your parents house, sneaking in a snog."

"I thought this was just a cuddle?"

He presses his lips against mine and smirks, "It's never just a cuddle, Ems."

–❈–

There are times that I find myself wondering what would have happened if I had never fallen in love with Niall. Could I have met a lad at Uni and dreamt of being a lovely housewife? Or could I have run off with a boy from secondary school and traveled the world? Perhaps even have met someone on a rainy day at the cafe down the street?

The thoughts were limitless, endless, and unceasing. I found myself thinking of the possibilities, the alternatives. But no matter how magical, romantic, and beautiful all these scenarios may have appeared to be...none compared to the few weeks I had spent by Niall's side.

And that was bloody terrifying.

"Niall?" I say, rousing him from his sleep.

I had sat upon the bed, as he had managed to lay back and fall asleep. The movie played on, unwatched by either of us. It was only when it ended that I realized it was a quarter past nine and Ollie would be coming up soon to get ready for bed.

"Huh?"

"I think dad's coming upstairs soon, you better get a move on."

He yawns loudly, sitting up and planting a kiss upon my cheek. "I guess I should."

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course. Where else would I go?" He replies with a furrowed brow. He picks up his jumper and slips it on, coming around the bed and wrapping me in his arms.

"Goodnight, princess."

"Goodnight."

"I love you." He says planting a kiss upon my forehead.

He leaves my room, sleepily and with a wide smile upon his face. As I hear him saying goodbye to dad and the front door closing I lay back in my bed and smile like an idiot.

My life, for the first time, was something so much better than my wildest dreams.