S I X T E E N

I silently swear at myself for having asked him. Niall looks at me blankly, there is silence, only him breathing and contemplating his words carefully.

"Ems, I already told you everything." He turns away and starts putting everything back in the box.

"Did you really?"

"Of course I did. Why wouldn't I?"

"I..."

He finally tilts his towards me, "Do you not believe me?"

"No."

"Then?"

"I...was just curious. You didn't really give me any details."

"Do you have to know the details...?"

Yes. "No..."

"Then, princess?" He says rather tiredly.

"Nevermind..."

I guess...I'd ask another time...

"Do you think Louis will tell dad?" I whisper, leaning into Niall.

Niall smiles wearily, "I don't think so. Not now anyways." He pushes back a strand of stray hair off my face, "We just need to be more careful."

"Definitely." I nod, placing my hand lightly over his.

He chuckles, "Ems, that's not being careful." I go to pull my hand away, but he keeps it in his, "We'll learn to adjust, I guess."

I giggle, shaking my head. He was right though, we had been careless. We needed to keep a level head about us, and this was not doing us any favors.

I slip my hand away from his and get up from the floor, "Where's dad?"

"Don't know. Said something about some CD's."

I lean over, bending slightly to reach Niall, planting a kiss upon his forehead, "Okay." I walk away quickly only to be called back.

"Hey." I look over my shoulder cheekily and see him smirking "Come back here, I deserve a proper kiss."

I turn back around, "Nope. We need to learn to adjust."

"Tease." He mutters as I walk down the hallway.

"Deal with it!"

Turn to go down the stairs, ready to face the rest of the family. For now, for now we just have to be careful. But what if we were caught again? Was it worth risking this? I mean, as much as I hate to admit it Uncle Lou was right. If everyone found out about Niall and I...I don't think there would be days like this anymore.

I walk down the steps, hearing the commotion already. All of my uncles and their wives and their kids. This house was alive again, abuzz with love and excitement and happiness.

How could I take that away?

"Emma, where's your dad?" Mum says walking towards me.

I shrug, "He and Niall were looking for some stuff upstairs."

"I'll go look for him then, everyone's hungry."

She quickly goes up the stairs, and I'm left in the kitchen by myself. I figure I could help mum with laying the food out, and I start by taking the main courses to the table and then come back for the baskets of bread and bowls of salad. As I walk to the kitchen on my third trip, I'm interrupted by a hand upon my shoulder.

"Can we have a chat?"

I roll my eyes, "Uncle Lou, no offense, but I'm in no mood to speak to you right now."