T H I R T E E N

"We're so fucked." Niall says mockingly as we lay upon his plush sofa. His arms are wrapped around me, holding my body tightly to his.

The sun has already long ago said its farewell, and from this position I could see a full moon through the large window in the kitchen perfectly.

"Yeah, we really are." I say intertwining my fingers in his.

I look at my small hand, interlocked in his and immediately feel my heart jolt. Not only was it because of his touch, but of the sheer danger it held. The entirety of this relationship was built upon a ticking time bomb, and the moment someone found out about it, it would surely explode.

But in the confines of this rosy colored bubble, in the confines of this night, it felt as if anything were possible.

"Are you sure about this?" I say turning to look at him.

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life." He says laying back upon a pillow.

I smile to myself, turning back to face the window, wondering how exactly everything had turned out this way. How not even the sixteen year difference had affected him. How he could possibly love me.

I knew it was only the giddiness inside me that was covering up the sheer terror, but I didn't want its effects to fade quite yet.

"Princess?"

"Yeah?"

He tightens his grip around my hand and avoids looking directly at me, "Are we really doing this?"

I swallow roughly, "I don't know. Do you want to?"

"I...yeah. I want to."

"Are you sure? Are you sure that I'm worth destroying...basically this entire family? Are we even going to last?"

He stays quiet, as if weighing the options in his mind, "Princess, I don't know. Only time can tell what will happen."

"But..."

"Shhh, don't ruin the moment Ems."

It would really be an adjustment to get used to his touch I realize as his body comes closer to mine.

"Niall?"

"Yeah?"

"Was it really only when I kissed you that you realized you loved me?"

He stays quiet and clears his throat, "Ems, I've always loved you. But that kiss...it just...it..." he gets flustered, and although I cannot see his face directly since my back was turned to him, I can imagine the shade of red it was most likely turning. "That kiss made the way I saw you change. You weren't a little girl anymore, you were..."

"Fit?"

"Nice try." He says with a chuckle, "You were...the thing I had been waiting for."

"Is that why you kept trying to pretend nothing had changed?"

"Smart one, aren't we."

"I'm serious."

He stays quiet again, almost as if he's drifting off to sleep.

"Niall?" I whisper.

"Hmmm?"

"Oh, I thought you were asleep." I mutter.

He unwraps his hand from mine and slowly starts tracing my waist with his long fingers. I nervously feel my heart flutter.

"Emma, what would your friends think if you told them you were going out with your Uncle Niall?" He asks rather seriously.

"I don't have any friends other than Janice."

"Stop lying."

"I'm not." I say with a smirk, she was the only friend I actually needed.

"Okay, well what about when we're out in public together?"

"Niall, you don't look a day over thirty."

"What about your parents?"

"Oh..."

"Exactly my point...oh."

I unwrap myself from his embrace and turn to look at him, propping myself up on my elbows, "But even after you weighed all these pros and cons..."

"I still chose you."

"You're a bloody moron." I say with a smirk.

"You princess, are my fucking weakness." He says planting a kiss upon my lips. My breath catches, and I smile when he looks at me.

"Is that a compliment?"

"I'd like to think so." He says with a smirk.

I look out the window, his hand in mine once more, and see that the sky had begun to turn the lightest shade of pink.

"Maybe I should head home."

"Yeah." He says rather sadly. "What are you going to tell, Harry?"

"I don't know...maybe that I spent the night at Janice's."

"Yeah." He nods.

"I could say the trip at the zoo was so terrible, I bailed early and went to hers."

"Very funny." He says as I start to sit up.

He grabs his keys off the table in the center of the room and looks back at me, "Ready to go?"

"No." I mutter.

"We have all the time in the world, Emma." He says stepping towards me and planting a kiss upon my forehead. "But, maybe it's best if we take you home before Harry has a heart attack."

"Maybe you should...leave me a bit away from home?" I suggest.

"Good plan." He says with a nod.

–❈–

Niall drops me off at the corner by my house, the sun already bestowing light onto the paved streets.

The enchantment was broken, the moonlit promises now just a memory. It was time to come back to reality.

I hurriedly ran across the street, opening the gate quietly. My barefeet cold upon the pavement. I kept my shoes in my hands, too tired to care.

I carefully open the front door, hoping not to awaken anyone, especially dad. These were the times I wished I could live at Uni the entirety of the year, so I wouldn't have to answer to dad when I came home at this hour.

As I close the door, I look around to see the sunlight already beaming through the curtains, my eyes adjust quickly to the bright light.

I step upon the first step of the staircase, praying it wouldn't squeak. Then the second, then the third. I figured by the fourth step, that I would make it. And I climb the remaining ones with less anxiety.

As I finally open the door, to my obviously unslept in bed, I sigh in relief.

Finally.

"Emma?"

Of course, I could never pull this off.

I look up to see mum with a furrowed brow at the end of the hallway. She tightens her bathrobe, and walks towards me.

"Where in the bloody hell have you been all night!?"