E P I L O G U E

Six Months Later

"I'm so happy you're home Emmie!"

I smile as Ollie presses his head against my chest, not quite wanting to let me go yet. Because the term had started I've been away at Uni. My baby brother had only seen me during the Holidays, during which I spent most of my time with Niall. Yes, I admit this unabashedly now. I've become one of those girls. But what can I say...love is a funny thing.

"Aw, I missed you too bud," I say ruffling his now long blonde hair.

But, of course, dad, was more excited than all to have me back home.

"Okay, that's enough." He says, moving Ollie away from me, only to settle in the spot next to me and wrap his arms around me. "It's my turn."

"Dad. You've been hugging me since I got home yesterday."

"And I'll keep doing it til you leave the day after tomorrow."

I was only home for my birthday, seeing that they all wanted so badly for me to spend it with them. Of course, I couldn't refuse, seeing as Niall would be here as well. And it would be rather suspicious if Niall went on holiday on this specific weekend.

"Alright, Harry! Enough. She's never going to want to come back home if you keep this up." Mum says walking in, grabbing dad's arm, and pulling him off the sofa in one tug. "I need help in the kitchen anyways. Give her some space."

Dad reluctantly walks away, mumbling, "She lives away from home, I don't see how much more space she needs."

I smirk to myself seeing dad's pout. As I am about to turn on the television, the bell rings. I smile to myself already knowing who it would be. Of course though, I would let mum get the door. Couldn't seem too over eager.

As the door opens, I hear everyone exchange pleasantries. When dad gets to Niall, I hear the wind knocked out of Niall as dad clapped him in the back. Hard.

Surprisingly dad was taking the situation in stride. Of course, he and Niall's relationship was semi-normal. As normal as it could be. But then again, it was much more violent than I had remembered it being. Niall constantly had bruises on his back from dad's "hello pats".

As I hear the commotion dying down in the kitchen, I know that Niall is about to walk into the living room. I try to act natural, but the excitement within me bubbles over. By the time he's standing in front of me I'm grinning like an idiot.

"Hello princess." He says, sitting down next to me. Knowing that dad was watching from around the corner, he wouldn't attempt to do anything. We would have to settle for a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi." I say, not wanting to take my eyes off of him.

I hadn't seen Niall either since the holidays ended. When dad had caught wind that Niall could possibly be coming for nightly visits at my dorm, he paid every security guard at uni to report to him who entered my room. I'm sure he has even a list of out coming and incoming calls and texts.

His obsession was maddening.

"Happy Birthday, Emma." He says enveloping in his arms. Oh, how I had missed his strong arms around me. "I left the key to the house under the blue plate on the counter. You tell him you're spending the night at Janice's and I'll bring you round hers by morning." He whispers into my ear.

I smile to myself.

Where there are controlling parents, there is always a way to get around them.

"Emma?" I look up to see dad standing before us and try not to sigh.

"Yes?"

Before he responds, he makes it a point to sit directly between Niall and I, "Are you ready to cut your cake?"

I look over dad's shoulder to see Niall about to piss himself from laughter. He thought that dad's cold shoulder was hilarious, and well, that he deserved it. After all, he was "fucking his mate's daughter" as he so eloquently put it.

The way it went now a days, was really rather comedic. Niall. Thirty seven year old Niall, now has to find ways to meet me behind my father's back. In all honesty, Niall is not his age. He never has acted his age. And this situation has done nothing but reinforce the fact that he is a bloody teenager.

"Yes, dad. Let's cut the cake." I say with a very pointed smile. Dad doesn't seem to get it, or doesn't want to get it. Either way, he grabs me by the hand, lifting me off the couch and leads me into the kitchen.

Mum, Ollie, Janice, all stood around the island, a beautiful cake in the middle of it.

"Wow." I mutter, looking at the three story cake, beautifully made with sugar flowers.It said Happy 20th Emma in large loopy letters.

I smile to myself as I feel Niall's large hand on my lower back. It wrapped around, pulling me to him. Dad noticed, of course, but somehow did not say anything. His smile became tighter, but I think it was from the sheer force of trying not to say something.

"Emmie what are you going to wish for?" Ollie says pulling on my jumper sleeve.

I look down at him and smile, "I can't tell you."

"Why?"

"You know why."

Janice smiles as she watches Ollie trying to get my wish out of me and says, "Come on, Ems. I want to know too."

"No! I can't say it out loud." I say feigning annoyance.

"Can you whisper it in my ear?" Niall says coming closer, his cheek almost brushing mine.

Dad clears his throat, loudly. Everyone turns to look at him. "You alright there, love?" Mum says with a very annoyed look on her face. She was rather cross about dad's childish "feud" with Niall. If you could even call it that.

Dad shakes his head, "Just got something in my throat is all. Emma, baby, why don't you blow out your candles." He says grabbing a lighter and sparking each candle.

"Traditionally, you're supposed to sing Happy Birthday before I do that."

Dad gives me a look, but leads everyone into singing "Happy Birthday to you..."

And as they sing, I can't help but keep repeating my wish. I just keep repeating the single phrase over and over again, until I hear the final "Happy Birthday to you."

When my breath leaves my lips, I release my wish as well.

Fireproof. Let us keep being fireproof.

It's all I could ever want really. I just hope we're always fireproof.

THE END