verse five

I wake up because of the sun that is shining through the window.

With a groan, I turn around in my bed. With a sigh, I lay in bed for another minute.

When I'm all awake, I stand up and put on some clothes.

I wonder what I'm going to do today.

I walk in the living room and spot a note on the coffee table with unknown handwriting.

Hi, Angelina! It's Audrey, and I wanted to let you know that I'm with Steve and Daphne, so don't worry! I wanted to ask you to come with me, but you were sleeping so peacefully! I'll be back by noon. See you later!

Okay, I'll be alone till noon.

I fall into the couch, and right when I start to think about what I'm going to do, an idea pops in my head.

I jump up from the couch and run to the kitchen, where I look around for food. My eyes fall on a bag with bread. With a grin around my lips, I grab it, run to my room and fly out of the window.

I try to fly faster, and I fail miserably in hiding my excitement. But as I'm nearing Damon's house, I realize that Damon could keep an eye out today for me, seen as I admitted to him that I was looking for Nate yesterday.

I have to get to the prisoners as discrete as possible. I land a couple of meters away from his house and sneak as quiet as I can to the bars. I hold onto the bag of bread and look around to see if there isn't anyone.

Take a deep breath, Angelina.

When I see no one I go further, and near the side of his house. I hear something behind me and freeze. The rustling gets louder, and quietly I turn around, but only to find a crow, looking at me. I breathe out in relief.

"You scared me," I chuckle. The crow tilts his head to the side, a gesture that reminds me a lot of someone, but I pay no attention it. I turn back around and hide behind a bush, once again checking if I see no one.

But the coast is clear.

I step from behind the bushes and walk toward the bars.

Proud of myself that I could make it, I look to the ground, and see the cells that I saw yesterday all next to each other. I search every bar and am glad when I find the girl that I spoke to yesterday. 

She's sitting on a mattress staring at the wall in front of her. With a smile, I kneel beside her cell.

"Hey there," I whisper. The girl looks up, and when our eyes meet, her eyes fill with hope and tears.

The most beautiful smile grazes her rosy lips, and with much force she gets up, her skinny arms supporting her by leaning on the wall.

"H-hey," she says, and walks over to me. Her almost white hare bounces when she does so. Her tiny and skinny fingers wrap around the bars.

"I brought food," I say with glee.

"Really?" she asks. I nod and hand over the bag of bread.

A tear rolls over her cheek and her lower lip starts to tremble.

"I don't know how to thank you," she says, and her voice breaks.

"You can thank me by eating the food, you need it," I whisper.

"And don't eat everything at once! You have to save until I bring more food," I say.

Another tear falls.

"I don't remember the last time that I ate something. But that's why Satan keeps us here. We can't die, but we can suffer as much as humans do. And he starves us, knowing that we can't die and we have to endure the torture," she whispers.