verse forty-six

The last person I expected to have wings was Damon.

His wings are huge, bigger than those of William, and that says a lot. And they're as black as the night.

They elegantly stretch behind him and have black feathers, instead of white ones like I have. My lips part in surprise.

He doesn't waste a second before he dives down after me.

The speed he has is unbelievable, but the way he flies is so... gentle. His wings push him forward like it was only yesterday when he used them for the last time.

My brain doesn't register what's happening, but I manage to stretch my hand toward him. My hair flies into my face, blocking any sight of him. He stretches his hand toward me.

"Angel," he mouths. The wind pierces through my skin, the cold surrounding me. I shiver.

I close my eyes when I sense I'm nearing the ground, and I start accepting my fate. My heart rate is fast, and the thought of dying terrifies me. But you're already dead.

For a second, my whole life flashes in front of my eyes. My eyes fill with tears as I prepare for the harsh ground.

God, I will always love you.

I hold my breath for the harsh collision my body will make with the ground.

But it doesn't come.

Instead of that, I feel a hard tug on my arm and not much later, a strong arm is wrapped around my waist. I'm being pulled against a hard chest, and when I open my eyes, I see Damon's black hair.

"Hold on, Angel," he says. He tightens his arm around me, while I wrap my weak arms around his neck. I breathe out in relief, and can almost cry from happiness.

I can feel him starting to fly upwards, and I enjoy the feeling of it. I lay my head in the crook of his neck and inhale deeply.

We arrive at the top of the building, where the Oldest Souls are.

"What...?" I hear Ian say confused. The last thing I see is the shocked faces of the Souls before I blackout.

 The last thing I see is the shocked faces of the Souls before I blackout

My head is pounding, and it feels heavy. My limbs feel paralyzed, and somehow I open my eyes and I succeed in blinking a couple of times. I want to open my mouth, but can't.

My throat feels dry like I haven't been awake in days. I move the muscles in my arms and am glad when I can move around. I turn around in bed and almost get a heart attack when I see Damon sitting next to me. He's looking down at me with those piercing blue eyes.

How did I get here?

The events of what happened come back and all I can see now are the sinister eyes of Ian. Images of Ian and Matt enter my mind, and in panic, I start looking around. Tears well up in my eyes, and my breathing gets quicker.