verse nine

With Damon following right behind me, I run down the stairs.

Soon, I see that it leads to a narrow hallway, but in the hallway are all different doors. They're all broad, and made of steel. In each door, there's a tiny window with bars in it.

"Is this the dungeon?" I ask. "Yes," Damon replies from behind me. I look over my shoulder and see that Damon's eyes snap from my butt up to my eyes. "Damon!" I scold, but the corners of my lips are twitching up. He grins.

"Not my fault your ass looks amazing in those jeans," he says and puts his hands up.

Just for a second, I have the urge to ask what Evelyn said after I left, but the fact that Audrey might be here distracts me.

"No!" I hear a shrill voice scream. Immediately, I fasten my pace and almost run to the direction where the voice came from. I hear muffled voices.

A commanding one, and a pleading one. The heavy footsteps behind me remind me that Damon is walking behind me. I wonder why he followed me, but then another scream cuts through the air.

At the end of the hall, there's a door, and when I look through the bars I see Audrey kneeled in front of someone else.

"Audrey!" I yell and bounce on the door with my fists. She looks in my direction, and her eyes are filled with fear. The guy with the blue hair – whose name is Matt – is standing in front of her, with a slaughters knife. When he sees me through the bars, he smirks.

"Well, I see that Ian didn't succeed in his task, so now I have to fulfill mine," he says in a sinister tone. They're all crazy down here.

"No! No, please! I'm begging you! Audrey did nothing wrong. Please don't hurt her! Hurt me! I'm the one you should be torturing, please," I beg, the tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. But it doesn't stop him.

"Enjoy the show," he says and lifts the knife. Audrey's body is trembling in terror, and she curls her body into a ball on the ground.

"No!" I scream.

I feel two hands on my hips and a warm breath on my neck.

"Matt," the deep voice of Damon says from behind me. Matt freezes the knife in the air, ready to cut Audrey's skin.

"Satan?" Matt asks and looks up.

He looks behind me, at Damon.

"I suggest you listen to the Angel. Leave the girl alone," Damon orders. "B-but," Matt stutters.

"Shut the fuck up and do as I say before I shove that knife down your throat and feed you to the wolves," Damon says, in a threatening voice. I feel his hands tighten on my hips.

Matt nods, and dejected, he lowers the knife. "Good, now open the door," Damon demands. It's like Damon has some spell on every Soul here.

Without thinking Matt reaches in his pocket and digs up a key. He walks up to the door and unlocks it.

As soon as I hear the click, I push the door open and run to Audrey. I kneel in front of her, making her look up. Her mascara is smeared all over her face, and the tears are rolling over her cheeks.

"Angelina, I-I'm s-so sorry! H-he said that h-he would h-hurt you i-if I didn't c-come with him and then..."

I silence her by wrapping my arms around her tiny form.

"Hey, everything is fine. Nothing happened to me. Did he hurt you?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"Thank God," I whisper under my breath. "Y-your hand is bleeding," she notices. I laugh through my tears.