verse thirty-four

The rest of the day I cried and wished how badly I wanted to go back to Heaven. When Audrey woke up, I quickly wiped my tears away and watched TV for the whole day with her.

Then she fell asleep after I gave her some painkillers. It started to turn dark so I went to my room, and now I'm lying in my bed, drawing until I feel the sharp pain come back.

I let my sketchbook fall onto the ground with my pencil, and arch my back. But that just intensifies the pain. I try to reach for my back with my hand to rub it a little but can't reach it.

Crying out in pain, I roll over and try to focus on something else.

Sighing, I walk around the market with my cart and get the list mom gave me with the things I should get written on it.

I study the messy handwriting and manage to read that she wrote 'milk'. I push the car further and notice how narrow the corridors are. I let go of my cart and go in search of the milk.

I see all the choices I have and go for the milk I always see in the fridge at home and take that one.

While I walk to my cart, I notice something. That's not mine!

The owner of the other one probably stole mine. Letting out another sigh, I push the cart forward and look for mine.

But I can't find it. While I look in every corridor to see if my cart's there, I see someone familiar.

Lucas.

I take in a sharp breath and study him for a while.

Like always, he's wearing expensive clothing that fits him well, and his hair is slicked back with gel. He's looking at something he's holding in his hands. Lucas is my childhood crush.

But sadly, he only had eyes for the pretty bimbos that were waiting for him in line. When I look next to him, I notice that he has the same things I have in my cart.

Wait... that is my cart!

Lucas had to be the one who took my cart. Just perfect.

While I get myself together, I walk over to him with his cart.

"Eh, hello?" I ask when I've reached him. He looks up, and his beautiful green eyes meet my brown ones. I swallow.

"Hey, do I know you?" he asks and raises his eyebrows. I blush a deep red.

"We go to the same school, but that's not the reason I'm here," I say quietly. He looks at me expectantly.

"You see, you stole my cart," I explain. He didn't expect this, because he looks surprised.

And then he smiles.

He's too cute!

"Oh? And how are you so sure?" he asks. Can this be more embarrassing?

"Well, I didn't have condoms in mine," I whisper and want the ground to swallow me up.

I motion with my hand to the pack of condoms in the cart.

He starts laughing. "Okay, you're right. How dumb of me to take the wrong cart," he smiles. Shyly, I look down and send him a small smile.

"I'll give him back to you on one condition," he says and a naughty look takes over in his eyes. Now it's my turn to look at him expectantly.