verse twenty-six

The next day, I wake up by the rays of sunlight shining in my room. I sit up, stretch my arms, and yawn. I rub my eyes.

"Katharina."

I jump up and walk to the window, seeing Moonlight standing outside.

"It's time."

I nod and gesture that I'll be down in a second. He nods.

I run toward my closet, yank it open, and put on a pair of jeans, a black hoodie, and my sneakers.

Then, I run to the bathroom, brush my teeth and hair, throw some water in my face, and when I'm done, I walk to my room, open the door and fly outside.

"Hi," I smile and pet the wolf.

"Hello, Katharina, I see you're still wearing my necklace."

Instantly, my hand goes up to touch it and I smile.

"Of course I'm wearing it," I say.

"If I could, I would smile."

I laugh.

"I'd rather have you wouldn't," I tease him.

"Watch your mouth, I'm your only friend."

Laughing, I push him away.

"Come on, we should go before I lose my 'only' friend," I joke and we start walking towards the woods.

I fly and he walks beside me. We're walking in silence when I hear my name being said. I frown and fly in the direction of the sound, only to stop at the corner of a building which is situated by the edge of the river. Moonlight followed me and is now standing behind me.

"She did what?" a voice asks, not believing what the other person just said.

Evelyn.

"She just came in! Just like that, looking at us! Satan didn't even mind it and laughed it off, she ruined our moment! I had him, Evelyn. After all those times of trying, I had him, and then that bitch comes walking in," someone sobs, Margot. I freeze.

"Damn," Evelyn mumbles. Inaudible, I sigh.

"But that's not the bad part! When we were fucking he called me fucking Angel! He just moaned her name in my ear, and he didn't even notice!" she cries. He really did that?

"That bitch needs to be taken care of," Evelyn says, "did you know I caught them making out?"

"You didn't," Margot says.

"Oh, I did! They were all hot and bothered when I entered, tangled up and sucking off each other's faces," she says, her voice full of disgust.

"I already told Tessa, and she agrees that we should send Ian to Angelina," Margot tells Evelyn.

I can't listen to this anymore. I walk away, with tears brimming my eyes.

"You don't have to listen to them."

I scoff. Easier said than done. I wipe my tears away, afraid that if I talk that I'll break down.

I motion my head to the woods, asking without words to continue our way. He nods and we walk further down to the woods. It hurts me so much to hear Margot talking about me that way.

The Margot I knew was so sweet, caring, and funny. This one I don't recognize. Has she always hated me like that?

"Katharina, I..."

"Don't," I whisper.

"I don't want pity," I say and wipe my tears away. We walk the whole way in deafening silence, and as we arrive at Damon's house, I stop behind a tree and turn to Moonlight.