verse forty-two

I blink a couple of times before I fully become awake. Memories of this night come flooding back.

A vague flash of an arm around me appears in front of my eyes. Who was that?

It was obvious it was a male, going by his muscles.

I glance under the sheets to see if there's something wrong with me, but to my relief, I see there's nothing wrong with me. I still have all my clothes on, so nothing bad happened to me.

I let my head rest against the pillows, still not ready to face the day. To distract myself and to prevent thinking about Nate, I think of a memory.

I'm in the line, waiting till it's my turn to order coffee. My first week in Heaven is done, and to be honest I like it here.

I've got my parents back, and I enjoy flying every day.

But I didn't make any friends. I don't know why, but I just won't succeed. There are a few people who have been nice to me, but I've only known them for a week. Everyone is nice here, to be honest.

When it's my turn I walk to the girl behind the counter. "A vanilla latte, please," I ask. She nods.

"Name?" she asks and glances up at me. "Angelina," I say. She nods and writes my name down, yelling my order to her co-workers. "Enjoy your coffee," she smiles, which I return.

"Thanks," I say, and wait for them to yell my name.

A while passes by, and finally, I hear my name being called. I thank them once again, and walk out of the shop, on my way home. I sip once in a while and see a boy walk in the opposite direction of me. I frown.

Why is he stretching his wings?

That must hurt.

He has an arrogant look on his face, and something tells me to stay far away from him. And that's what I'm going to do. He seems a troublemaker.

While he comes closer, I try to hide behind my hair. I'm glad he doesn't seem to notice me. With my eyes focused on the ground, I quickly try to walk past him.

And then I bump into something hard.

I spill my coffee all over the person I ran into, and cover my mouth with my hand.

When I look up I see it's the guy I wanted to avoid. But he didn't even as much glance at me. He's too busy with his shirt.

"I'm so sorry..."

"Who do you think you are? Spilling coffee all over me like this..."

When he looks up he falls silent. His blue eyes meet mine. He swallows and scans me from my black sneakers until my brown hair.

"Sorry," he whispers. I shake my head. "It was my fault, I should've looked where I was going," I apologize.

"It's okay, I shouldn't have been so mad at you," he says. I send him an assuring smile. "It's fine."

He smiles back.

"I'm Jeffrey," he says, introducing himself.

"Angelina," I smile.

"Well, Angelina, I must say that you are very pretty," he says with a playful glint in his eyes. I blush. "Thank you," I chuckle and look at the ground.

I think I've made my very first friend.

And he was a good friend. A friend where I went to if I was sad, a friend who comforted me and hugged me. He was there when I needed him, who made me laugh until I couldn't breathe anymore.