verse forty-three

"Angel, I have no idea what you're talking about," Damon says and takes my hands away from his face.

I want to tell him that it's okay to feel, that he doesn't need to hide his feelings – at least not with me.

But I know that if I tell him that, he will build his walls higher around himself. I realize that I'm probably looking like a madwoman.

"You know what? Forget it, I was a little emotional because I had to think about my parents," I lie, but he's the Devil, and sees through every lie.

"I don't believe you," he says. "You're lying, and I wonder why. But I won't bother you with it because I don't want you to act weird again," he says and stands up. I follow his movements.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I ask, hoping to change the subject. He seems confused and shakes his head. "Eh, I came here to tell you not to make any plans for tonight," he says. I frown.

"Why?" I ask. He looks at me straight in the eyes. "Just, don't make plans for tonight," he shrugs like I should know what we're going to do. But I decide to stay silent and nod.

He seems... nervous?

"Good," he breathes, "I'll see you tonight."

With the last smirk, he disappears into thin air.

What does he mean that I should put on nice clothes? Do I have to wear a dress? Or just normal clothes?

I'm being pulled out of my thoughts by Audrey who's walking into the living room. "Hey," she smiles.

"Good morning," I smile back. We both agree to have some breakfast, and while eating Audrey announces that Daphne will stop by.

While Audrey is changing in her room, there's a knock on the door. I walk to the door, and when I open it I'm surprised to see Daphne and Steve.

I frown; I thought she was coming alone? But still, I greet them with a smile and hug them both. Steve seems to hold me a little longer, but I don't pay attention to it.

Audrey offered something to drink, which they declined and they take a seat on the couch. I notice Steve following me with his eyes the whole time. I start to feel awkward.

Audrey starts talking to them, while I'm sitting there and keeping quiet. The whole time I feel Steve's eyes bore into my skull.

Not knowing what to do, I stare at my fingers. "Angelina, we're going for a walk, care to join?" Daphne asks. I look up and see them all looking at me.

"Uhm, yeah, that's good," I say. Daphne smiles and stands up. Steve and I follow her movements. "Are you not coming with us?" I ask Audrey.

She shakes her head, causing her pink locks to fly around her head.

"No, I'm staying in."

I nod, and after having hesitated a little if I should leave Audrey alone, I decide to come with Daphne and Steve, so I follow them outside.

We walk along the river, the scent of garbage entering my nose. I grimace.

Daphne and Steve start a conversation about the dirty water flowing down the river.

"Shit! I have to pee! I'm going to enter that little club and ask if I can use the restroom," Daphne says and without waiting for a reply, she runs off and enters a club.

I laugh and shake my head. When I look up I see Steve staring down at me. I shift in my spot and clear my throat as I look down at my shoes.

"How do you like Hell this far?" Steve asks me. Relieved that he asked such a simple question I look up. "Do you want an honest answer?" I laugh.