verse twenty-nine

I wake up because of the warmth. My lashes are sticky because of all the tears I shed yesterday and my head is pounding.

I'm almost crying out in relief when I see a big, black wolf standing next to me. I sit up and see other wolves lying next to me, still sleeping. Moonlight is the only one who's awake.

I see it's still dark outside, but in the distance, I already see a couple of rays of sunshine seep through the clouds.

"Hi," I croak. I can't even hear my voice. I think I yelled and screamed a little too much yesterday.

My voice is raspy and hoarse.

"I heard you call out for me yesterday. I immediately came looking for you."

I smile at him. "You stayed with me the whole night?" I ask, my voice almost gone.

"Yes, you were cold so we kept you warm and protected you."

I pet him and press a kiss against his head.

"Thank you," I whisper, and I think he didn't hear it. I can't even hear my voice.

"I couldn't find the way back, and when it turned to night, I became desperate," I try to explain.

"You can't talk too much, otherwise you'll lose your voice."

"I already lost it," I shrug.

"You look awful."

I shake my head laughing, even though it hurts. I smile because he wanted to make me smile.

"When you can talk again, you can tell me why you flew against a tree."

"I flew against a tree?"

He nods.

He's kidding, right?

Typical, Angelina.

That explains why my head is pounding.

Moonlight turns around and wakes up the other wolves. They all stand up and look at me.

"They like you."

I look at Moonlight and smile.

"We have to go before the others start to think you're dead. When you're better, we'll continue to look after Audrey and Hakan."

I nod and stretch my wings.

"Moonlight," I whisper. He immediately looks up and walks over to where I'm standing.

"What's wrong, Katharina?"

"How long did you take before you found me," I ask, my voice hoarse.

"It took a while before we found you unconscious on the ground. I guess thirty minutes."

For thirty minutes, I laid on the ground, in the cold with a sore hand. I won't be surprised if I catch a cold.

I think Hell has it out for me; making me sick and causing that I have injuries all the time.

Sighing, I nod and motion I'm ready to leave. As they start to walk I start to fly.

I feel so dirty. Like I walked miles through a jungle.

My eyelids feel heavy. I desperately want to close them and just sleep.

After a while of flying, my eyes suddenly close and I fall. But right when I'm about to hit the ground, I fall on to something soft, yet hard. I guess Moonlight caught me.