verse forty-five

I wake up because it's too hot. It's hard to open my eyes, but the first thing I register are the two arms wrapped around my waist. 

His scent enters my nose, and when I manage to open my eyes a little, the first thing I see is jet black hair. Disoriented, I look around and see I'm still in my room.

Then I look down and smile a little. Damon's head is in the crook of my neck, and every time he breathes out, I feel his exhale. His legs are tangled with mine, and I see his eyes are still closed.

His snores are filling the room.

I thought he would've left once I was asleep. The moment I shift a little, I feel him stiffen up.

A pair of eye-lashes tickle my neck, a sign that he's awake. He hums a little, and then I feel a kiss pressed against my neck.

The blood rushes to my cheeks and a warm feeling settles in my stomach.

Stupid butterflies.

"What a feeling, waking up like this," his deep morning voice rasps out. "Good morning," I whisper. His arms tighten around me.

"Slept well?" he asks. I press my lips together and shrug. "Yeah," I say. I didn't have any nightmares.

"You?"

He nods, but then he furrows his eyebrows. "Yeah, actually I did. I dreamt about something."

He says it like it's a miracle. But then I remember he told me he couldn't dream.

"What did you dream about?"

It has to be something special if it was his first dream. He looks away from me, almost ashamed.

"Nothing."

He's hiding something. And I want to know what he has been dreaming about, but I'm afraid he'll get mad. So, I decide to shut up.

Damon hides his face in my neck and inhales deeply.

I would like to stay in this position forever.

But then Margot pops back into my mind, and a sick feeling washes over me. I swallow and slowly untangle myself from him.

"Angel?" he asks once he sees me scoot away from him. I rake a hand through my hair and look outside my window. The image of his mouth on her neck while they're doing whatever they were doing enters my mind, and it refuses to go away.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I jump up surprised. "Don't you need to, eh, do more important things?" I ask.

I don't want his touch near me. Knowing he went away from me to be with her, hurts.

Anger toward myself fills me because I keep letting him do this to me. "What's wrong?" he asks. I shrug.

"I don't know," I lie, "just, don't you need to be in bed with Margot or something?"

Why I said that, is still unknown to me. I don't want him to think of me as a jealous girlfriend.

He isn't even mine. He gets up from the bed and walks toward me. I take a step back and take a deep breath. Our eyes meet, and the look on his face tells me he knows what I'm talking about.

"How did you find out?" he asks. I laugh humorlessly. "There's nothing for me to find out!" I say, raising my voice a little.

I clench my hands by my sides and breathe out. "You just... slept with her," I shrug, and press my lips together.

"Angel," he says and takes a step toward me. I take another one back and shoot him a warning glare. He sighs and rakes a hand through his hair.

"I was drunk, and I wasn't thinking," he tries to explain himself. I lick my lips and scoff.