verse thirty-six

Shocked, I let myself land on the ground. What I've just witnessed left me speechless. All that time that I've been here, I was in the heart of Hell, while I thought I've seen everything.

It's right what they say about Hell. It's a burning fire. All those Lost Souls have to suffer in that fire, covered in ash and flesh burnt.

Shivers run up and down my spine at the thought of it.

"Moonlight, I want to go," I say to the black wolf.

"Alright, Katharina, I understand if you're shocked."

I turn to Hakan. "I'll see you one of these days," I tell him and pet him behind his ears. He nods and looks at Moonlight, probably bidding his goodbye before turning away and he walks away, disappearing between the trees.

In front of me, the fire is still burning but stay exactly in place. The fire we're surrounded by.

I look at Moonlight and climb on his back, which reminds me that I can't fly. The thought stings.

The whole way to Audrey's apartment I'm looking ahead of me, aimlessly. I wonder how I've never noticed that obvious fire before.

Why has nobody told me about this? All those kinds of questions are swirling around my head, unanswered. And before I know it, we arrive at the apartment and I get off his back.

"Thank you," I say. "No problem, Katharina."

With a last goodbye, I walk inside and go up to the second floor. Once I enter the apartment, I see Audrey sitting in her living room, and when she sees me she sends me a breathtaking smile. I take a seat next to her.

"Are you okay?" I ask her and glance at her wound. She nods and puts her hand on the bandage. "Did you take the painkiller?" I ask her once again. She nods her head. 

"I called Daphne and Steve, they're coming over," she says and looks expectantly at me. "And?" I ask her. She shrugs.

"Just wanted to let you know," she says and looks at her nails. "Audrey, this is your house, not mine. You can invite anyone you want, you don't need my permission for that," I tell her.

She nods. "You're right. But I feel so weak and need someone who I can trust," she frowns. "I'm here for you," I smile. She opens her mouth, about to say something, but the door opens.

Our heads snap to the front door, and we see Daphne and Steve enter the apartment. When Daphne sees us, she sends us a smile and Steve follows her actions.

They take a seat on the couch opposite ours. They ask Audrey how she's doing and they tell her about everything that has happened recently.

I start to feel like an intruder and realize I should probably leave them alone. "I'll be in my room," I say and after saying goodbye, I stand up and enter my room.

A loud sigh escapes me when I close the door, and I let myself fall against the door. I finally let go of the tears that wanted to escape the whole day.

I hide my face in my hands and start sobbing.

They can torture me, hurt me, everything if it means that my wings would be safe. My wings are the only thing that I like about myself.

They are the most beautiful gift I've ever received.

The only pretty thing about myself.

I could trust them, they were strong and never faltered. They took me everywhere I wanted, with no limits. They helped me escape reality.