verse nineteen

Gasping, I continue to look at the two.

They're connected! Because how would Moonlight be able to communicate with Damon?

But why would Damon threaten to kill Moonlight if they have a bond? I mean, you wouldn't do that with someone you trust.

All these questions wander around my head. But... Moonlight helped Damon with capturing Hakan because Damon asked him too.

He did that because they were connected! And now, Moonlight feels guilty and wants to get Hakan back to prove to himself and all the other wolves that he's no longer loyal to the Devil.

It all starts to make sense now.

Shocked, I take a couple of steps back and rake a hand through my hair. My wings flutter up and I fly away. I can't help it, I feel betrayed because Moonlight didn't tell me anything.

But if Moonlight and Damon are connected, why would Moonlight bother to be connected with me? I mean, you have to be evil if you have a bond with the Devil?

Does that mean that Moonlight can't be trusted? I feel a pang of hurt in my chest. Did Moonlight lie to me all that time?

No, he wouldn't do that. After everything, we've been through. Tears well up in my eyes.

There has to be an explanation.

Maybe Moonlight isn't the one who I thought he was.

I arrive at Audrey's apartment and fly in my room. I close the window in my room and let myself fall on my bed. Sighing, I stare at the ceiling. How could Damon have a bond with a wolf? Is it even possible?

A Devil connected with a wolf? The thought is crazy. This is all so complicated. Raking a hand through my hair, I frown.

I hear a loud sigh and then a creak on the floor. I just know that Damon is standing next to my bed.

"You didn't tell me that you are connected with Gregor," I say, still staring at the ceiling.

"I was wondering when you were going to find out," he answers. I don't have to look to know that he's smirking.

"Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't Gregor tell me?" I ask.

It's like I'm talking to the ceiling. "You never asked."

Is he going to be like this?

"I have the right to know because I'm connected with him as well!"

"Angel, why does it matter with who he's connected? Maybe he's connected with someone else, also? Who knows," he sighs and gets into bed with me.

"But... why him?"

I turn around to look at him in the eye.

"You should ask Gregor."

Frustrated, I look at him and let out a loud sigh.

"Why are you so mad at the fact that we have a bond?"

The question surprises me. Isn't it obvious?

"You're the Devil! The Devil for God's sake! You're the definition of evil. So, I'm sorry if I think that Gregor must be evil to be connected to you!"

"So; because Gregor and I have a bond you think he must be a bad wolf?"

I nod.

"And now you feel betrayed."

"Not really, but I just didn't expect this."

"Are you mad?"

I shrug. He sighs.

"Look, the reason I picked Gregor, is because I needed someone who wouldn't stand out. And Gregor was the perfect wolf. He's anonymous. He's strong and brave, so I thought; why not?"

"But you used him by commanding him to capture Hakan."

"So? Why does that matter? I only needed Gregor to capture Hakan. It's not like we're buddies. We just talk when we stumble upon each other, nothing more, nothing less."

I narrow my eyes. "You used him," I whisper.

"I did."

"He trusted you."

"True."

"How could you do that? I mean, it was wrong of him to trust you, but still. You damaged his trust," I say and sit up. Damon shrugs.

"What's the point?"

"The fact that he trusted you is not just something you can disregard! Gregor said it means a lot if a wolf trusts you. And you ruined that!"

He sighs loudly and rolls his eyes.

"Whatever. Why is that so important to you?"

"Because trust and loyalty is important!"

"Didn't you notice that I don't give a fuck?"

I sigh, because I know I can't change his mind. I can't make him regret his deeds.

"Why are you even here?"

He looks away, almost like he's ashamed of something. "I came to tell you that you don't have to worry about Gregor."

A smile tugs at the corner of my lips, but I don't know why.

"Thank you."

"I would like to stay and chat for a while but I have to go," he says sarcastically. I ignore the disappointment seeping through me.

"Alright. Bye."

He nods once before he disappears into thin air. The fact that Damon came here just to tell me he isn't going to hurt Moonlight, causes a big smile to form on my face. 

But why a warm feeling settles in the pit of my stomach, I don't know. My smile fades away, and a frown replaces it.

I shouldn't be so happy that he came to calm me down. Not at all.

God, what's happening to me?