Kabanata 23

Emergency

We were silently seating on a bench that's surrounded by roses and shrubs. Hindi ko na napigilan ang pagluha ko dahil sa nangyari.

I was enraged of what she said to me. A slut. Masakit sa pakiramdam na paratangan ka sa isang bagay na hindi naman ikaw o hindi mo naman ginagawa. I know what Earl and I did at the shore is somehow disturbing since it's a public place but accusing me of a slut? Really? Akala mo naman hindi niya ginawa iyon.

Second, I am guilty of what I said to her. I didn't even respect her. I called her by her first name and I am deeply guilty of what I said. I know she's still my mother but at that time, I couldn't think straight.

Tumigil na ako sa paghikbi dahil sa malamyos na pagkakahagod ni Earl sa aking likod. He haven't uttered a word yet. He's probably waiting for me to finish crying.

Kumalma ako at kinuha ang panyo sa bulsa ng dress. I wiped my tears and inhaled a huge amount of air to still my breathing.

"How are you? Feeling better?"

I slowly nodded at Earl.

"I-I'm sorry I drag you in this mess." May plema pang nagbabara sa lalamunan ko nang sabihin iyon.

"Don't be sorry to me. What your Mom said is a natural reaction. I should be the one saying sorry for kissing you in public place and haven't introduce myself to your Mom." He sternly said.

My lips parted. Inangat ko ang aking mukha para masilayan ang mata niyang kumikislap ng galit at awa.

"But still. It's my problem to Mama. I dragged you in this messy situation." I bit my lower lip and stared at my feet once again.

"Hey," he softly said.

Hinagilap niya ang mata ko at nang magtama ang mata namin, may luhang tumakas sa mata ko. His soft gentle eyes is telling me that he's worried.

"Whatever your problem is, it's also my problem. We will solve our problem together, okay?"

His eyes are so warm and gentle I am slowly melting. I nodded at him and tried to plaster a smile.

"Though I have to say that what you said to your mother is a bit offending." Mariin niyang sabi. I slowly nodded my head, agreeing to what he said. I know, and I am guilty about it.

"I know it's hard for you to accept and even pretend that everything is okay between the two of you. Just consider her as your first patient." Kumunot ang noo ko sa sinabi niya. "Imagine that you're her doctor and even if you have a bad history with that patient, you still need to be professional 'cause it's your job as a doctor to treat her. Tito Rod said she's sick, right?"

He stopped and smiled at me. His smile is all I could think about at this moment.

"Try to be calm like a doctor. Consider this as your first duty."

I couldn't help but smile at him. He's right. Somehow, I can compromise and not think of all the bad things. Be professional. Treat her as a patient.

"Do you understand?"

I smiled and nodded my head, liking his idea.

"That's my girl."

He wrapped his arms around my neck and shoulder and pulled me closer to him. Napapikit ako nang halikan niya ang sentido ko.
I feel positive about this.

We were like that for a couple of minutes until his phone rang. I got back from my senses. Hindi pa rin tinatanggal ni Earl ang pagkakayakap. Patuloy pa rin sa pag-tunog ang kanyang cellphone.