Chapter 25

Lilliana

I had my intentions set on telling Alpha Richard that I was Lorenzo's mate but the moment I saw his eyes turn into the reddest shade, I changed my mind. It almost seemed like he was going to rip my head out of rage.

Panic tugged me at the core of my heart and I took in deep breaths. "Does that mean we will have to return to the Scarl—"

Alpha Richard didn't let me complete. "Of course not. You all are my subjects and I won't allow anyone to take away my pack members." He stated, ruffling through the papers again. Our names were scribbled down on the papers and they weren't just a few names, they were a lot.

A lot of us came from the Scarlet Pride.

"But the treaty—"

"I'll take care of it, Lilliana." He cut me off again. "I just need to find the reason behind Lorenzo's appearance after fifteen years. It must be something." He ran his hand down his hair and leaned back against his chair, confusion and uncertainty growing in his eyes.

I couldn't directly mention the fact I was his mate but I did want to know what Alpha Richard would think about his mate.

I bundled up a lot of courage and asked, "What if he found his mate?"

"Then we will need to kill her."

I choked at his reply and blinked twice. "What?" Excuse me?

"If his mate dies, so does he. Easy target." A grin settled over his lips as he assumed that it was the reason behind Lorenzo's return. This was the exact reaction I was afraid off.

I didn't want to die or be a reason for someone's death. That was bluntly cruel and vicious and I never expected it to come out from my Alpha's mouth.

"Isn't that a little stretch, Alpha. Killing someone's mate to gain power?" I asked, raising my brow. It was indeed wrong.

Alpha Richard bounced forward, staring right into my eyes. "It's called protecting the pack, Lilliana. As an Alpha, I have duties, I need to take care of everyone under me. When you learn about the Scarlet Pride and what they had done for years, you wouldn't feel so remorseful for them. They deserved to be torn apart, to be ruined." He took in a sharp breath before continuing. "Lorenzo deserved whatever he got and there is no way in hell I'm going to let this go without a fight. I would die for my pack but not let anyone break it."

My world titled for a second. What was so bad about them? Alpha Richard was a sweet, old man, he never bothered with anyone, he took care of all of us like a good Alpha.

The dread I tried to escape from returned to my body and I swallowed hard while fidgeting with the hem of my shirt.

There was no way in hell I was going to tell him that Lorenzo was my mate. I was a potential target, to be killed and Richard hated that man, I couldn't imagine the things he would do to me when he learned the truth.

"Oh, okay." I nodded and got off the seat. "Thank you. I'm sure everything will be fine, soon." I whispered before scurrying out of the office like there was a wolf chasing behind me, ready to slaughter me to the devil.

I pressed my lips tightly together, breathing through my nostrils as I travelled around the house, looking for someone I could talk too. The crowd grew with every second as the Alpha still had to speak to everyone.

I went to the backyard, yanking my legs off the bundle leaves that had fallen to the ground as I approached my parents. They were standing underneath the morning sunlight, speaking to each other until I showed up.

"We need to talk and it's important." I told them. I had already spoken to Ann and Cora and while they were helpful, their advice didn't really help me much—talk to the Alpha, he'll protect you.

Alpha Richard wanted to kill me.

"Right now?" My Dad's eyes scanned across the backyard, it was filled with wolves.

"Yes." I took their hands and walked farther away from the crowd till we reached the gates of the mansion. "I had a talk with Lorenzo and he is going to come here and take me."

"Forcefully?" Dad's eyes turned red. "That shit is not going to happen!" His voice grew.

"Dad." I clutched his hand. "It's going to happen someday or the other. Lorenzo was very persistent on taking me, I have faith he's going to come and claim any day in this week. On the other hand, I spoke with Alpha Richard and did you both know about the treaty?"

"What treaty, sweetheart?" Mom asked and at that moment, I knew that she wasn't aware.

"The treaty between the Scarlet Pride and our pack, it states that we are Lorenzo's subjects the second he takes his throne as an Alpha—which he has." I explained to them, carefully.

Their eyes widened and face darkened, sweat glistened down their cheeks as they looked at each other, surprised and blown off.

"That wasn't—" Mom tried to decline the truth but it wasn't long before she agreed. "Fuc—no." She placed her hand over her mouth, almost gasping but avoided cursing in front of me.

"Yeah. That's why Alpha Richard is pissed."

"God. That's horrible! We were never told about that." Dad yelled in the silence as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. "We can't go back." His expression took a concerned side and his eyes bore into mine, clearly showing that he was still hiding something from me.

Something about the Scarlet Pride.

"Alpha Richard promises nothing will change but I doubt that. And, I wanted to tell him the truth but before any of that could happen, he told me that he would love to kill Lorenzo's mate." I told my parents the rest of the story and continued for as long as it went.

It was rare for me to hide anything from my parents as they were open-minded and free souls, they supported everything I did and never tied me down.

Mom's eyes lit up and she quickly gave me a hug. "Oh, sweetheart, I am sure Richard won't kill you if he learns you're Lorenzo's mate." She whispered in my ears. I wanted to take her word—I really did.

"What should I do?" I was tied between my own Alpha and my mate, unable to choose who I wanted to support.

"Take my advice and tell Richard, we can help you and he won't harm any of his pack members." Dad suggested, landing a hand over my arm.

"Or—" My Mom interrupted. "You can speak with Lorenzo, see if you can change his mind. It will give you more time. Not that he needs a mate right now."

Right.

"Thanks, Mom and Dad. I will think about it." I forced down a deep breath before sliding back into the house.

Ann and Cora were with their parents so I decided to leave as my thing was done here. Taking my car, I drove to the secured woods and shifted under the bright sunlight, taking my wolf for a run to ease down all my worries. It was the only thing I could do, along with thinking hard about my parent's advice.

Read the full book on patreon quicker: www.patreon.com/miakerr