Chapter 31

Lilliana 

When the clouds weakened, the rain stopped and Lorenzo acted dead inside my car as the bite was really getting to him. I knew it was going to affect him. I pulled out the first aid kit from under my seat and begin cleaning up the wound. Whenever the alcohol rubbed against it, he flinched.

"Is it really hurting?" I asked with concern, my brows furrowed. "We can go to this hospital, it's nearby." I prayed from the bottom of my heart that the rogue's bite wouldn't be infected. It would create a lot of problems then.

Lorenzo turned his head at me. "Oh, yeah, it's hurting a lot, love."

My hands begin to shake again as I drifted my attention to the wound. "I'm sure it will be okay." I said, words quivering in my mouth. "You won't die—"

A loud laugh rang in my ears and Lorenzo stood up, suddenly acting all fine. "Don't you know, love? I'm immortal."

I threw the rag filled with alcohol over his face. "What?" I asked, my voice strong. All this worry for nothing?

He pressed his hands on the leather seat, flexing his muscles at me as I stayed between his legs, on the floor of my car. I was patching him up, believing he was actually hurt but after seeing the sudden change, I wasn't sure what to believe.

"Shouldn't I be dead by now?" He questioned.

My eyes raced down his bare chest and onto his stomach. The scars scattered over his body told stories, they were all over him, one even close to his heart, which meant, if he could die, he would've—fifteen years ago, during the battle. No one could have that much strength to bear as many scars as he did.

"Wait. No. There is nothing called immortality." I scoffed, shaking my head and closing the kit as it wasn't necessary anymore.

Lorenzo took my wrist and my attention diverted from the kit. I looked at him with confused eyes, not ready to believe any of that existed. It couldn't.

"Come on. Sit up." He jerked me over to his lap and softly pecked the behind of my hands. "I was just joking, I'm not hurt and for a fact, I'm immortal. It's a long history so I rather not go deep. The only way I can be killed is through you, which is why, I need you to be with me." His voice wasn't filled with sarcasm anymore.

My guts twisted out of fear. What was my mate?

"I—I don't understand." There was nothing as immortality—nothing. "How?"

"I will explain later." He said, narrowing his head. A cold finger traced over my knees and I shuddered. "This is the reason why I can't let you alone. I never had a weakness, not even in my dark times. The rogues were here to kill you and they'll continue to do so. The only place you are protected is in my land, where you belong rightfully."

I turned red with shame and cocked my head to the other side after realizing the reality of this all. Lorenzo didn't want to rip me away from my pack for his own needs or wants, he wanted to do it to protect me. How could I ever tell him my Alpha wanted me dead as well? His reasons were right.

"I understand." I mumbled, shaking my head straight. "Thank you for saving me."

Lorenzo pulled up my sleeve and his nose scrunched with disgust. "Mhm, that's disgusting, love. You might need stitches." He placed me down on the seat and pulled first aid kit, surprising me a little.

The wound was behind my arm, I couldn't reach it but he helped me clean it up and when he started suturing it up, I furrowed my brows together and gave him an uncertain look.

"You do know I'm thirty-five, right?" He asked, meeting with my gaze.

"Yes, but I didn't know you knew how to stitch a wound up." I replied while watching the tiny needle pull out of my skin. Those hands seemed like they had been doing a lot of things.

"I've lived alone for fifteen years, of course I know how to do everything." He reminded me.

I hissed at the pain and closed my eyes. That was a whole lot of drama he had done a few minutes ago then. I stayed quiet for a while, swallowing the pain as he tidied it up and wrapped a band aid around my arm. It was awful but everything was all right.

Once done, Lorenzo kissed the wound and turned me around. I felt healed after the tiny little show of affection. It mattered.

"The rogues around this area are deadly and you do not want to between them. They come from a pack of rogues and they have their own leader." He explained me the things I wasn't aware off.

My heart jumped and I peeked over his shoulders to raining collapsing down the grounds all over again. It was a hell of a stormy night, and it had no intentions of ending anytime soon.

When I turned my attention back to him, I asked, "Leader? Like an Alpha?"

"Yes. They are not your normal-go-to rogues, they are strong and I want you to not be on this land, not without me at least." Free land.

"I'm confused." I paused the tension between us for a second. "Why would you mark me when you knew that if I died, so would you? Wouldn't that make me your greatest weakness?" I raised my hands in front of him and continued. "And why would you try to kill me?" Anger bubbled inside me as I went back to what was going to happen an hour ago.

Lorenzo was going to kill me, clearly, he had his killer face on and if I hadn't stopped him, my limbs would be his next meal.

When he looked at me, there was genuine worry in his eyes but a little wickedness at the back of them. "That was an honest mistake—it wasn't supposed to happen. And I mark females for fun, watching them die after a night of pleasure is a delightful scene." The words came out of his mouth without a thought.

"Disgusting." I gagged.

"I apologize, I'm not supposed to share that but I wasn't aware you were my mate, up until next morning." He held my wrist, ensuring I didn't run. "Even if I did, I still would've claimed you."

"Wow." I sighed, that was a lot. Neither of us knew we were mates, until he marked me. "Why? I am your weakness."

A wild smile curled on his lips and his hands locked behind my back, he dragged me over himself, our hips connecting slowly.

"It doesn't matter—not for me. I've yearned for a mate for decades, someone to declare as mine, someone I could possess over and nothing would've stopped me from marking you even if I knew beforehand."

Read the full book on patreon quicker: www.patreon.com/miakerr