chapter 29 Mission to the Land of Birds

(This isn't the mission to free Sagi of the ghost. This is just an escort mission. Thats all.)

NEJI POV

"I have a mission to do. So if there's nothing else then we can leave." I said after awhile with no answer from him about what just happened.

It frustrated me to no end. Why would he do that? Its obvious that I care about Michigo. Everyone knows that.

"Yeah." He replied simply. He had put on a blank face and ignored me after that.

Sighing heavily I lead us out of the Hyuga compound and out towards the hokage's office.

"S-should I be coming too?" He asked hesitantly. I looked back before we entered the building. Frowning in confusion, I thought about it.

"Well you don't have a team right now so I'd assume you'd want to know what to do right now until Rintaru and Michigo are released or sentenced." I answered. He nodded his head in reply and followed me up to the office and entered along side me when we got permission.

"Lady Hogake. I was wondering what I should do right now since I don't have a team at the moment." Masato said speaking up before her.

She glanced up at him as we joined my team and Guy sensei.

"Hmm... you're right." She mumbled to herself. She stared at him for a little bit before coming to a conclusion. "I want you to go on this mission with Neji's squad. By the time you return the interrogation of your teammates will be done."

"Uhh... right." He said stiffly. I internally sighed. He was obviously nervous about going on the mission with us. I mean I would be too if I had done what he did with Michigo.

It was unexpected and probably going to be awkward if we didn't talk about it and clear things up.

Hopefully he doesn't let his nerves get in the way of our mission. I can push it to the back of my mind. For now at least.

"Alright your mission is to escort this man to the Land of Birds. Neji your in charge. You are to leave in 1 hour." She said sternly. We answered in unison and left to pack. It was a long journey.

We finally met up at the gate for the long mission. It was an easy C rank mission. I didn't know if Masato was a last minute addition or not. But I did know if he knew he wouldn't have kissed me the way he did.

Now he puts us in an awkward position. I could only hope if things went downhill then what had happened earlier wouldn't get in the way of the mission.

We have been walking for about a few hours and it was hitting nightfall. Masato and I stayed quiet the whole time just listening to Lee and Tenten ramble on.

"Alright guys lets camp here for the night." I said stopping. I looked around and we seemed to be in the clear. No one around.

"Alright Neji." Tenten replied setting her stuff down. She helped the old man, our client, to sit down and get comfortable.

We set up a sleeping bag for him to rest in case he was tired. I set down and took out some food and tossed it to him to eat.

"I'll gather some firewood." Masato said dimly. I looked up to see him evade my eyes and take off slowly. He didn't want to draw any unwanted attention from the others.

It wasnt working however. We all knew he wasnt the quiet type. He wasnt normally solemn like this.

Sighing heavily I sat down and waited. There was nothing I could do. He wasnt ready to talk. And I doubt he wanted to at all. Either way I will get it out of him when we got back in the village.