chapter 30

Neji pov

I loved Michigo yet my heart was in pain seeing Masato like this. How could one be satisfied loving one another from afar? It would be too painful for me.

It was day break at last and we started to move again. I didnt feel like conversing so I just walked ahead of the group occasionally using my byakugan.

About an hours journey I had a bad feeling so I immediately stopped the others. They immediately got out some kunai and surrounded the old man we were escorting.

"Byakugan!" I yelled activating it once more. I sighed heavily deactivating it. "I couldnt detect any signs of life but for some reason I can't shake this feeling that we're being watched."

"You think its that girl from the other day?" Lee asked seriously. He glanced around before putting away his kunai. I shook my head. I didnt know the answer.

"If it is her then she's out of range from my byakugan." I said glancing back to the others.

Tenten frowned while Lee looked around trying to detect who was following us.

"Let's keeping walking as if nothing happened. I need to know if she's after us because we're leaf ninja or if she's after the client." I said sternly looking around once again before walking. But this time we formed our formation more tightly around the old man.

He didnt seem surprised though. Like it didnt bother him. We're being followed that much is obvious but he was acting like it was nothing. Just another day for him.

Was this an everyday thing for him? The more we walked the more questions I had building up.

He wasnt no ordinary old man. But I kept to our mission. Escort him to the Land of Birds.

We were nearing the Land of Birds at last and with no indication of an attack from our follower.

"Alright you guys were almost there." I said speaking up activating my byakugan again. She was still out of range but I still felt her uneasy presence.

We had delivered the old man to his destination, got paid then left. After awhile of walking and discussions of random topics I decided to bring up the girl again.

"Hey I have an idea to lure out our follower." I whispered. I hadnt stopped walking though. Masato came up next to me asking about the plan.

"What should we do?" He asked in a whisper. Lee and Tenten stayed behind us to not look suspicious.

"Hey Neji are you sure there's someone out there?" Tenten asked frowning. She was skeptical. Of course she would he. We're just going off my instincts. I knew we were being followed but I couldn't see them.

"Well I believe in you Neji. After all we're teammates." Lee said with enthusiasm. I smiled to myself happy that Lee believed in me. I couldnt understand why Tenten wouldn't though.

Normally she'd believe in me. After all I'm the one with the byakugan not her. Lee and I are the strongest on this team. She strong too but not physically like Lee and myself.

Maybe she was jealous of Masato? I couldn't tell. Thats when I thought of it and my blood froze over.

I stopped suddenly with a gasp and my eyes widened. Shes snarky with me because she heard our conversation last night.

"What is it Neji?" Masato asked concerned. I glanced to him eyes wide. He didnt understand at first but it didn't take him long to realize. She was jealous of him because he kissed me first.

"Neji? Is something wrong?" Lee asked looking around for the enemy ninja. I quickly composed myself and brushed the others off telling them it was nothing. "If you're sure."