22- Heart to heart conversation

I was shivering at the thought of spending break time with all those girls. It's been so long that I have spoke with someone of age unless it's about studies.

No one would believe that this loner girl, who has spent her each and every break alone was once an outgoing, cheerful girl who made friends with literally everybody.

Rudra kept giving me reassuring glances but that wasn't enough. My heartbeats were racing as I keep thinking about the fact the anyone of those girls could have been my father's victim.

"Sia, the bell rang. Let's go", Rudra said shaking me out of my thoughts.

"Huh", I was still disoriented.

"Cafeteria? The bell rang", Rudra said confused by my behaviour.

"Oh yeah. Give me a minute", I said while packing the books in my bag.

I kept fidgeting the whole way from my class to the cafeteria, cursing my Mom for putting me in such a position.

"SIA, RUDRA. WE ARE HERE", Shanaya yelled from her seat while waving her hands above her head so that we can find them.

Rudra too waved laughing seeing Shanaya's crazy antics. He then turned towards me and said softly, "Come". I nodded hesitantly and followed him.

Shanaya, Maitri and Jiya were sitting around a table in the corner. They had already pulled out an extra chair for us as the table usually had four chairs.

Shanaya was the most bubbly and cheerful girl of the trio, while Jiya was the silent one who spoke little but to the point. Maitri was too blunt and straightforward but had a fun going aura around her. The trio had different personalities but they complimented each other perfectly.

"Hello! beautiful ladies", Rudra greeted them with a charming smile before sitting down on an empty chair while I just gave them a small smile.

"Hello to you too, my handsome brother", Maitri greeted back turning down his flirting in a second.

"Okay, no need to be obvious, I understood what you hinted, SISTER", Rudra said chuckling and took it in a good way instead of getting angry like most of guys would. Looks like he is a rare species.

"May I ask why this sudden arrangement? It's not like, I mind but why suddenly?", Shanaya asked.

For a moment I thought she was irritated by us intruding their time but her wide smile stated otherwise.

Rudra looked me, motioning to answer their question but I just sat their tongue-tied. He waited but seeing that I made no efforts to open my mouth he replied to their question, "Well, it's nothing much. Sia was telling me about the time you all did a group project and how she enjoyed it with you all. So I came up with the idea to enjoy break together and become friends".

"Are you sure? Sia doesn't look too interested", Jiya said raising her eyebrows.

I tried to shake my head to let them know that it wasn't the case as my voice had given up on me.

"Don't mind her. She is just shy. Give her a few days to get comfortable, she will surely eat out our ears with her rants", Rudra joked trying to get me out of their inspection.

The girls seemed to believe him and started talking about random things while having their lunch. Rudra participated equally while I sat there not saying a word.

They all waved us bye when the break was almost over and left for the classes. I too stood up to leave but Rudra pulled me from my hands.

I sat down on my seat due to the force. "Are you mad? What has gotten into you?", I asked flabbergasted.

"You tell me, what was that? You didn't even speak a word to them. Is this how you are going to be friends with them?", he asked angrily, running his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"It's not like I didn't try but my voice refused to co-operate. Plus you said you would handle everything, right? Then why are you getting angry on me?", I shot back at him trying to cover up my faults.

He sighed, looking like he was giving up on me.

"Please, don't get angry. I really tried", I said pleadingly, not wanting to lose my first ever friend after my father's fiasco.

"I am not angry but you have to understand that you have to put maximum efforts in this.

This is your journey, Sia. I can only help you from sidelines. You are the one who has to do all the work", he explained in a caring tone.

"I will do better next time", I promised and he nodded smiling.

We both left for the classes after that heart to heart talk.