41- Bloody Old Man

To say we got late for the college was the understatement. We got so busy in talking that we completely lost the track of time and had to literally run to reach the college.

Huffing and puffing, we finally reached the college. Giving each other a hurried wave, Rudra and I parted ways to reach our respective classes.

Hoping that the professor won't scold me as the lecture had already begun 15 minutes ago, I walked towards my class.

"May I come....", I stopped my sentence seeing Maitri storm out of the class, her face turned red because of anger.

"What are you waiting for? Do you need special invitation for coming inside? No need to waste more time of the class, go and sit down quietly", Sir said quite rudely.

I went and sat beside Jiya asking her silently through my eyes if everything was okay.

"Later", she whispered and turned her face to concentrate on what professor was speaking.

I too turned my attention towards the lecture, not wanting to get another scolding.

As soon as the lecture ended, we three hurried out of the class. Stepping out, I saw Maitri pacing around the corridor, murmuring something to herself.

We all went towards her and Jiya stopped her from moving. "You shouldn't have done this Maitri. He is our teacher, you shouldn't have been so disrespectful", Jiya said sounding disappointed.

"Yeah, I shouldn't be disrespectful but what about him? What about the fact that he insulted you in front of the whole class?", Maitri asked in frustration.

"Umm...Sorry for butting in but can anyone explain me what is going on?", I asked feeling out of loop.

"Oh yeah! You came late. Wait I will explain", Shanaya said.

"So Sir was speaking about some historical events. When he was speaking, Jiya pointed out a few points that he spoke wrong as Jiya had already read several books about that topic and she knew what had actually happened", Shanaya started explaining.

Maitri interjected taking hold of the conversation, "But how can be a teacher wrong? When Jiya pointed out his mistakes, he felt a punch to his ego so he insulted her in front of the whole class instead of appreciating her for being knowledgeable".

Jiya sighed and spoke out, "And what did you do? Cursed him in front of his students. Seriously Maitri, you should have just let it go. Old people are like that only, they don't adapt to the changes easily. What they know and feel is always right. If they think, Earth is square then it is square, no amount of proofs would change their decision".

"I don't care about all that. Don't want to agree then don't, who cares but he had no right to insult you like that. 'Buddha Saala'(Bloody Old Man)", Maitri said in anger.

"You are lucky that he only send you out of this class. What if he complained about you to the principal or even called your parents? What would you do then?", Jiya scolded her.

"Then she would tell them what happened. Maitri may be hot tempered but in this case she is right. She fought for your respect and it's definitely not wrong. In fact, I am surprised that you are letting it go so easily. You cannot let someone disrespect you just because they are elder than you", I said taking Maitri's side.

She may have taken it too far by cursing the professor but standing up against him was absolutely necessary.

"What should I say now? If Maitri was not enough, you too joined the team, Sia. What should I do about you two?", Jiya asked shaking her head.

"Not two but three", Shanaya said while gathering Maitri and I in a side hug.

"Shanaya you too, come on atleast you take my side. You are against violence, right?", Jiya asked her with hopeful eyes.

"I am against unnecessary violence but it was needed this time. No one should get away after insulting our best friend", Shanaya said with her head held high.

"Okay okay, You all are right. I surrender", Jiya said by putting her hands up in surrendering position.

Maitri shook her head smiling and pulled Jiya to join our group hug.

To find someone who always had your back, who protected their own fiercely was really rare and I was really lucky to have found and become a friend of such an awesome person.