26- Misunderstanding

Everyone ate their food silently. All the smiles and laughter that had been present before, disappeared into thin air.

Mom also detected that something had happened as she asked me through her facial expressions, moving her eyes towards the trio. I just blinked my eyes, reassuring her that everything was alright. It was enough for her as she went back to talking with them with a smile.

They just gave one word answers without contributing more to the conversations but atleast they didn't ignore her. I was thankful to them, even though they were angry they didn't do anything to jeopardize my relationship with Mom by telling her the truth.

As soon as the lunch was over, the trio stood up making some excuse for leaving as Mom kept pestering them to stay for alittle while more.

"I will see them off", I told Mom and went outside with them to face their wrath.

"Why are you here? Your work is done. You can very well ignore us from now on", Shanaya said looking at me with unshed tears in her eyes.

I closed my eyes in guilt. I had expected reaction from Maitri and was somewhat prepared to deal with her anger but tears in the eyes of ever so bubbly Shanaya wasn't something I could ever dream of, let alone handle it.

"You are getting it all wrong. Please let me explain....", I started but Maitri interrupted me in between.

"Will you just shut up? Enough of your drama. Who do you think you are to use us like this? All the drama of apologizing and then making up for it with a lunch. Wow, we didn't even suspect anything.

Now I know, why suddenly you wanted to sit with us during break. This was all your plan right, you just wanted someone to come and pretend in front of your Mother. I must say, it was really an exceptional act. You are truly an mastermind", Maitri said making a show of clapping her hands in sarcasm.

"Enough Maitri, you are getting ahead of yourself. Atleast listen to what she wants to say", Rudra said stepping in between.

"Oh! How can I forget you? You are equally responsible. How can you support her like this? She is a new comer, even though her betrayal hurts we will get over it one day but you...you have known us since childhood, how can you do this to us? How can you betray us like that?", Maitri spoke angrily wiping away her tears simultaneously.

Rudra looked taken back from this accusation. Before he could say or react, Jiya spoke while wiping Maitri's tears, "Rudra can't do this Maitri. We know him from childhood, he isn't like that. I am sure he was fooled by Sia just like us. Right Rudra?".

I stood there stunned, not knowing what to do. This mess was created by me and I had to somehow clear this but as always my voice left my side the very moment it was needed.

"No no. You all are getting it all wrong. First of all wipe your tears and listen to me. This is all a big misunderstanding. Sia has not betrayed anybody. Please listen to me once, only once before coming to any confusion", Rudra pleaded even though it was my job to do so.

They all looked at each other. I don't know what silent conversation occured through their eyes but they agreed to hear us out or should I say hear Rudra out as they weren't even looking at me.

"Okay so we initially approached you as we wanted to invite you for lunch but using you was never on our minds. Sia has difficulty making friends and this lunch just turned out an opportunity for her to try.

If she wanted you to just pretend then she would have just asked bluntly to be fake friends as she did it with me at first", Rudra tried his best to explain.

"So you two are fake friends?", Jiya asked turning her face so she could glance at both of us.

"No. She asked me to be her fake friend but later we became real friends. I assure you all that if she only wanted you for the lunch then she would have said so.

The situation seems tricky, I know it's hard to believe. But it is the truth. When she wanted to ask you for the lunch, her Mom pestered her to, she couldn't her open her mouth. When she actually invited you, all she wanted to apologize and make up for hurting you with her behaviour", Rudra finished explaining with hope clear in his eyes that they would understood.

"Is Rudra speaking the truth?", Shanaya asked me in a childlike voice.

I nodded slowly, not knowing if they would ever be able to forgive me.

"Thank god, it was just a misunderstanding. I couldn't even imagine you betraying us. I was feeling so hurt.

You didn't betray us, you are our true friend, Yippee", she said happily and gave me a tight hug.

A tear escaped my eyes on seeing the love they had for someone who just entered their lives.