8 | poisoned lunch

chapter 8 : poisons lunch

I wake up feeling uneasy. Today's the day i visit my mother at the prison. I take a pair of black jeans with an AC DC shirt but no flannel today. I wear my black converse not wanting to seek any attention. As I get changed i decide to call the Women's prison. The director there is a friend of mine...

"Sofia?" he says through the phone.

"Uncle Phil! How are you doing?" i ask my voice high pitched.

"You know me lil Sof, i'm doing great," he pauses realizing my tone of voice, "Have you changed your mind?"

"Maybe." i say slightly ashamed of admitting it.

"Well that's good, you can come by 10 if you want." he tells me.

i sigh, "i'll be there." 

i hang up and go downstairs. I jump skipping the last two stairs and arrive by the kitchen were i hear Robby and Sam kiss. "we better find a way of hiding better than this." Robby says and i silently chuckle. he definitely is talking about me.

"Let's go on a date then. tonight." Sam says.

"The roller skate is having an 80s night." Robby says. 

Perfect. I turn around and walk to the dinning room. I grab an apple and then turn around to leave, "Where are you going?" Amanda asks me softly.

"I, er, I'm going to see Miguel." I lie .

"Oh okay, will you be back by 6PM?" she asks me.

"Sure?" I walk away leaving my skateboard behind me. I need a ride. The prison is far from here. How am i even gonna get a ride?  I don't have my driver's license. I look around and find a taxi, I wave my hand around and they stop.

"Hi, i need a ride to the Women's prison." i say getting in.

"Alright." he says and starts driving. 

For the first five minutes the ride is made in silence, an awkward silence, until the driver breaks it, "Visiting someone?"

"yeah." 

"Family?"

"You could say that." i sigh.

"Hey, listen kid. When i was your age, my pops was in jail. I didn't visit him once 'cause i blamed him. but now he dead kiddo, and i wish i visited him." he says.

"But here it's different, she don't care about me. All she cares about is herself."

"But she still your family." he says.

"You're right." i say looking down. We arrive by the prison and he turns around.

"Good luck kid." he says and i give him his money smiling. I get out of the car and stand in front of the building while the taxi drives away. 

I take a deep breath and walk in, my phone rings and i look at the caller ID: Miggie Diaz. I ignore it and get inside. He'll understand why when i tell him. 

"May i help you?" the man at the front desk says.

"I'm Sofia, I'm here to visit-" just as I start to to justify my visit uncle Phil cuts me in, "Sofia! Come here no need to get through that." 

I walk towards him and hug him tightly, we walk towards the visiting area and he tells me, "Go on, choose a table and she'll come see you. Good luck." 

I nod and reluctantly sit on the chair i start taping my right foot and cross my arms on the table. What if she doesn't come? i did promise to never visit her. If she doesn't come then i'll know where i stand now.