Chapter 3 : Hope

Beth's POV

"She was lucky....... But you...... No...... Fair......" Someone was speaking these words from far. A professional voice.

I opened my eyes, to see a group of doctors discussing, but the young nurse looked astonished. She kept looking at me until.......

"She's awake." Nurse whispered.

"Hello, brave girl." I recognize this voice. Dr Morris. A very pregnant Dr Morris. "Surprisingly both of you are safe."

"Both???" I coughed.

The nurse gave me water while Sophia joined us in her nurse attire.

Sophia.......yes, still practising. Even at this age.

I ignored Sophia and gave my attention to Dr Morris, who was smiling at me while checking the file. My file. She is an inspiration to me. I want to be an independent woman like her.

"Baby is healthy but you need to take care of yourself. Haemoglobin is low." She was in her doctor mode. "Keep the record of her health." She said to Sophia.

"How far is the pregnancy?" Sophia asked.

"Almost 3 weeks." She replied. "Do you want this baby?" Dr Morris asked me.

Do I want this baby?

3 weeks.

Mark is the father.

"Of course, we want." I heard Mark. I didn't look at him and laid down to sleep. He is still in his black commando-type outfit like I saw him first time. Tired.

"You..." Dr Morris might have got the idea perhaps that is why she was hesitating. "You both can discuss......"

"There's nothing to discuss." Mark snapped. "We are having our baby."

I ignored asked the young nurse, whose name I read, Amber, about Abioye and Ava. She looked nervous and this is not a good sign. Are they OK??

"They are sleeping." Mark caressed my cheeks. "Sylvia was missing you."

Yes, I want Sylvia as well.

I want Eli, Sylvia and Abioye. Even Ava. But I didn't say anything about it and closed my eyes to sleep, trying to ignore his touch.

"We are having a baby." He said.

"Congratulations, your plan is accomplished." I mocked him. Now, that I know the reason of our unprotected sex, I hate him more.

Do I hate him????

Of course, I do hate him.

"You must be happy. Everything is according to your plan." I glared at him. "Tell me the truth, Mark." I pleaded. Somewhere I still love him and want us to give a chance. But before that, he needs to confess all of his crimes.

"I'll tell you everything but not now. I am not ready to......."

"Just tell me one thing...... You were trying to impregnate me?"

"Yes." He looked guilty.

"Why?"

"So that you don't leave me when........"

"The truth comes out." I finished his statement. "You used Sylvia as well?"

"I just wanted........" He sighed. "Yes, I used my daughter. You were a grieving mother and Sylvia was a baby. I just...."

"Used the situation." Again I interrupted and finished his statement.

"I love you." He tried to touch me but I leaned away. I don't know if he's still lying. He assumes that if I would be pregnant then I wouldn't leave him. Well, he's wrong. Doesn't matter if he's the father or not I will leave once I am healthy enough.

"You don't trust me," I said. "You don't trust me enough to tell me the truth. I was so blind that I never doubted at you. I ignored all the warnings. You don't love me."

"Elizabeth. I do love......."

"I am sleepy." I heaved the blanket over me and laid there for hours, hearing him typing vigorously.

Why the hell he's here? I murmured.

"I can hear you." He said.

"But you didn't hear me when I said STOP." I snapped at him but didn't come out of my safe den.

"Trust me..... Please trust me." I heard him begging and felt him laying beside me. He held me as if he would leave me I would run away. That's what I actually planned.

Within a few minutes, I forget the reality and laid peaceful enjoying his warmth. Despite everything he feels home. We didn't say anything until we heard a baby crying.

"He's calling for his Dada." I heard Sophia and a baby crying out loud.

It's my son. My baby. My Abioye. I tried to reach to him and even Sophia hesitated, before giving him to me. Is something wrong with my baby? He cried out loud and kept calling Dada. What will I tell him that I shot your Dada?

"Sh....." Mark kissed his head. "Dada is here." He cooed and took him without my permission. "I'll take care of him." He dismissed Sophia.

He roamed around the room with Abioye in his arms and said soothing words to my son, inaudible to me. It felt like we are back to the beginning where the baby is my son instead of Sylvia and it's Mark instead of me.

"He's my son." I snapped. "Don't ever touch him."

"I don't need your permission to touch my son." He said politely.

"He's not your son." I scowled at him.

Without firing back, he gave me my son. Then left us alone. I was almost happy for a while watching my Abioye sleeping peacefully in my arms when Mark came back again with sleeping Eli in his arms and a ward boy was pushing a big crib with divider that has peacefully sleeping Sylvia. My Sylvia looked exhausted, even in sleep. Within a few minutes, a bed was arranged, where Mark laid Eli.

Settling everything quietly, they all left and then soon the sleeping Ava arrived who joined Eli. Finally, Mark took Abioye from me and put him beside Sylvia. He checked every child and made sure they are covered.

It looked like a big family room.

Family.....

Are we family?

"They all were missing you." Mark clarified.

"You can leave," I whispered not wanting my kids to get up.

"I am not leaving." He was buying putting pillows beside Eli and Ava.

"We don't need......."

Mark dropped everything and harshly grabbed my arms, making me look at his eyes. That reminds me of the moment when the first time I witness his furious hazel eyes.

"I am telling you for the last time. I am not going anywhere. Kids are mine. This." He pointed at my stomach. "Baby is mine. You. Are. Mine."

"You are hurting me...." I whimpered and he cursed before departing.

Within an hour, he was back again with a bundle of papers. Arranging a bed table on my lap, he gave me an order to sign them. I read and fumed with anger.

Now, he wants to play family-family.

"I am left-handed." I reminded him, clearly indicating that I will not sign these stupid legal papers.

"You learnt how to use the right hand. Now, sign." He almost yelled but controlled himself realizing that kids are around.

"I don't want this......."

"Then I'll take kids. You are not fit to be a single mother. Your education is not complete and you are handicap. Your call. This way or that way."

He's right. I have nowhere to go. No education. No family. Even people will doubt at my efficiently of work. Crying I signed away my last hope of freedom.

"Congratulations. Mrs Rogers." He kissed my head and forced me to wear a so-called wedding ring.

"I hate you." I wanted him to know I will never forgive what he did to me.