Chapter 23: Years from the Past

Mark's POV

“Find every Schmidt.” This was the last message Shawn send me before his death. I regret not receiving his call. My Elizabeth and August are dead.

Although we found three dead bodies too destroyed to recognize, yet I am not convinced about the death. Shawn was dead in the middle of the road but Elizabeth, August and the driver were found dead a few metres away.

“She is alive,” I whispered and checked the CCTV footage again.

“Sylvia and Abioye are restless,” Victor informed. This man has been awake with me from the last week. Even though we are exhausted and everyone tried to convince me about my wife's death, I can feel her breathing in this world.

In the past, I gave up on her but not now, when she's my wife with my child. We have a lot of moment waiting for us. Our moments.

I like her kissing, while she acts like a teenager. She pushes me away but I love her touching.

Her touch, smile. Her everything.

“I am not convinced.” Me Schmidt said. “About her death.” Although, I hate the fact that he is the person who helps in my creation and left me and my mother, but he is a clever person. When he says something we should consider that. And this time, I agree with him. “Last time, Antonio staged her death to convince his brother. This time someone else played all this drama to keep us away from her.”

“And please enlighten us the name of that person.” I mocked him.

“Another Schmidt,” Victor said absent-mindedly.

“This boy is right.” Mr Schmidt said. “And Shawn knew something.” He settled Abioye on lap again.

Shawn's death was unexpected. He worked for Rossi. If he is dead, then does it mean Rossi are involved?

Leonard despise Beth for destroying his ideal family but it is his elder son who did it. He was a womanizer and enjoyed sleeping with every woman, without thinking twice about the outcome. It was him who made Valerio sex addict. Valerio is suffering because of his brother's selfishness.

Antonio wanted Beth to suffer. He wanted another Rossi in place of Suri or should I call her Ava..... Even after delivery, he would have set her free if Valerio didn't mention the plans for marriage with her. As a result, he cut her ring finger and held her captive in whore house, where she was raped, tortured.

“I think, it has to do something with Schmidt children,” Victor said. “Shawn texted about Schmidt....... I think you should consider a DNA test for Shawn. I feel he is related to the Schmidt family.”

“He got point.” Mr Schmidt held Abioye. “Our family had a lot of illegitimate children. Many were treated worse than you could imagine. We need to find every Schmidt.”

My son looked so peaceful in his grandfather's arms. He had a small smile with a dimple. This dimple was gifted to him by Caleb. I am remorseful about his death. His death is my nightmare. I still remember Allison's pleading eyes which were lifeless. That woman must be thinking about her daughters.

From the day when I saw the Bell sisters, it was my mission to keep them safe. I kept an eye on their every move. And now, I feel if Elizabeth had known about my existence than she wouldn't have taken so-called help from Andrew.

Vicky was a fighter. Even when Elizabeth went missing, she kept fighting. She was in worse condition until I went to take her to hospital. She fought for almost 3 years, and then she asked me permission to see her parents. Her death. I was heartbroken with her death. She was my baby sister next to Amaya. But it was the best option for her, she could claim for herself. Her death, her peace.

It was only me, Victor and August at her funeral. Even Amaya's funeral has had no one except four of us. Mr Schmidt, Victor and August including me.

All these three brave souls of Victoria, Cheryl and Amaya need Elizabeth.

“Something was wrong with that..... August.” Mr Schmidt said. Being in mafia and facing conspiracy against him, has made him a good mafia boss. “What he used to do for you?”

“Supervise our intelligence team,” I answered.

Nodding with unknown thoughts, he caressed Abioye head. He loves his grandchildren. Elizabeth was right but I can't trust him. He is a fucked man.

“I want the medical of all the kids including yours as well as August.” He said.

“Now, you suspect a deceased person.” Victor laughed. “You need to take care of yourself, old man.”

“August is not dead. Neither my daughter-in-law.” He sighed. “I don't know if you haven't noticed or not. But he behaves so much like Mark. As if he is copying him. Or... It's his nature.”

“We have known him for 10 years.” Victor reasoned out. Yes, we have known him from the past 10 years. He had nothing and was homeless. He used to sleep on the bench of the park where we used to live on our trailer. He wouldn't betray us.

“Answer me a few questions.” Mr Schmidt challenged the Victor. “Mark's mother's name.”

“Alice Rogers.” Victor rolled his eyes.

“Who's Ethan?”

“Her brother.”

“How did Mark owe the Rogers estate?”

“He inherited it from Ethan Rogers.”

“Who is Drake?”

“Twin of Miles, who used Emily.”

“Now, tell me where is August's home town?”

This question was slap on us. We lived with a man, who never told us anything about him. We never doubted him or never checked his background. Whenever Victor asked him anything, his answer was simple and repetitive, 'his life had a rough start'.

“August Costello, is not the man you think. I never like him. But he was always neutral. Now, I regret I should have investigated on him.” Mr Schmidt's disappointing voice made me realize that I always doubt others but I refuse to look at around me.

Was I so blinded by him?

“I will bring every file including mine.” Victor left.

They all left me with my thoughts. All I could is to stare at nothing and rewind my memory. August kept a low profile and I never suspected that. And I own a fuckup team of espionage.

If August is up to something than it is going to hard to find her. He is good at hiding.

Who are you, August?