Chapter 20: Gaurds of Bodies

Beth's POV

Dr Lillian West advised me about my stress and also warned us about adventurous sex. She's right but who will be relaxed to know that your kids are not safe. And Mark's other secret wasn't helping at all. I wanted to talk to him, but we haven't got any moment to talk.

I thought he told me everything but no, I was so wrong. How we will spend the rest of together when we don't trust each other?

It was the first time that I witness a huge building in front of me. 'Rogers Security'. Right next to i-HaMoS. Both buildings were neighbour to each other but Rogers security owns the bigger area.

“New company,” Mark whispered. “You can get your new building, if you want. Your Restaurants. You are Mr Schmidt successor.” He offered.

I denied politely and waited for him to finish his meeting but it took hours. Finally, Victor informed me about Mark's sudden change in plan. That was weird because, usually Mark tells me about his plan. He is trying to gain my trust. But today, he sent Victor.

Giving me his bye with the signature kiss, he left to his next meeting without looking back at me.

We were supposed to buy a phone for me but now, I have to go to the mall, alone. For my security, August joined me and Shawn was stunned when he saw August sitting right next to me.

Even, I was dumbfounded to find him settling beside me but then I understood, he did it for Shawn.

“How's Kate?” I asked Shawn, who was uncomfortable. What is wrong with him?

“Devastated, she is missing her daughter. She found her daughter yet she lost her, Ms Bell......um…sorry Mrs Rogers.” He was stammering. Something is wrong. He is a confident man. He would never behave in such a way until it is making him uncomfortable.

“Is everything fine, Shawn?” I finally asked. But instead of replying me, he nodded.

Although, he didn't say anything about his anxiousness, but I could sense his anxiety. Maybe I am suspicious but always listen to instinct. I ignored my instinct and I paid heavily. My family, my sister, my life, my kids. I trusted Andrew Schmidt.

August was relaxed and somehow, he looked happy. Usually, his poker face has nothing to offer but today, he looked different. He looked relieved.

My intuition says something is worse is going to happen. I need to make sure my kids are safe. We don't have Hunter around them.

I asked August to call Marcus, but he didn't receive the call. Kids are with him, as there was no one to guard them.

When the car stopped, Shawn loaded his gun and signalled August and me to stay in the car. Even he can feel something was unusual.

Peeking through the window, I see a series of car lined blocking our way. It was strange to so many cars in the abandoned road.

“Who asked you to drive from here?” Shawn screamed at the driver. Strangely, he is not the usual driver. He is someone new.

“I wanted to save time.” He replied as if he is not afraid of Shawn.

Shawn is in mafia. He will never regret shooting someone. And this foolish driver is pulling a stunt here.

“I'll check.” August finally said and opened the door.

“I'll check,” Shawn unlocked his gun. “Stay in the car. August make sure..... She's SAFE.”

Walking to cars, he knocked but nothing happened. Finally, deciding not to wait more he pulled out his phone and typed something.

That's when the driver started reversing out the car.

“We need to get out from here,” August said, which eventually calm me down but I wasn't convinced.

I looked at Shawn, whose look held horror. Something is unusual.

Shawn pulled out his gun and shoot at us.

What!!!!

He started running towards us. He followed the car. Then I discovered, we are leaving him.

No...

“He is with us. Stop the car.” I ordered the driver. But he ignored me.

What the hell!!!

“August..... We can't leave him.”

August led out a vicious laugh that gave me shivers.

Shawn kept following us. He ran behind us with determination.

Whatever is happening is not going to favour me. I need to get out from here.

I hit the window and called for Shawn. I tried to open the door but child lock.

I hate this.

Even Mark does this.

Why do Mark and him have a lot of similarities?

I hate Schmidt family. They're fucked up relation. They will ruin my kid's future.

I hit the window again and again, in the hope of breaking it. Shawn kept following us. He is a determined man. He shot but missed. Finally, he stopped.

Please, don't give up.

He exhaled a breath and raise his hands with gun, targeting at us. He is going to shoot us.

Doesn't matter. I want to get out of here. But then, I saw him falling on knees. He is bleeding. Someone shot him. His mouth was filled with blood.

I screamed.

The cars started moving and followed us. It was all planned.

I broke into tears. If this is a joke, I'll make sure I'll kill August for such a horrible joke.

Punching him, I cursed him with everything, I could remember. He will pay for this.

“I am not Rogers.” He slapped me.

His slap brought me to reality. This is not a prank neither I am dreaming. This is a reality. Shawn is dead in reality. And even his slap was a reality.

“What do you want?” I sobbed.

But I got a silent treatment. Again, just like Mark. I am beginning to hate this. Both friends have so much similarity. They have learnt this from each other.

I hit him again. I slapped him, multiple times for hitting me. But nothing happened to him. Finally, I planned to hit the driver, wishing that it will make him stop the car but August stopped me.

“You don't want to lose the pig inside you…” August smirked and hit my head on the hard glass of the window. “Bulletproof glass.” He said.

I witness something like thunder when I closed my eyes. My head felt heavy. Touching my head, I felt a lump but no blood. I can't focus.

“Sleep, Ginger.” August voice echoed in the car.

“I want Mark.” I managed to say.