Chapter 6 : Discussed Relations

Beth's POV

“Do you need help?” This is the nth time Abigail asked me.

I rejected her offered and continued to clean the kitchen. I heard her sighing but this is my home. I'll decorate it the way I want to. I prepared coffee for her and green tea for me.

“You don't have to stay with him just because you signed a stupid legal paper of marriage or due to this pregnancy.” Her polite tone disclosed her genuine concern for me.

I have witnessed people betraying me. Leaving me alone in the trouble. Even taking their anger on me. But I have to stop this. I can feel the love of my husband, but he doesn't trust me. Why?????

He doesn't trust me and aspects me to trust him blindly. But, any relationship is between two people. So why only one is bound to put effort in any relationship???

“I appreciate your concern but I think it's between me and my husband. I need to teach him......”

“You don't have to do anything.” Her tone suddenly held desperation. What she is actually up to???? “Valerio will.......”

“Valerio has his own issues.” I snapped.

“Calm down. You are behaving like a possessive woman.” She tried to lighten my mood and laughed. But no....she failed. Because I didn't feel any humour in it.

“I am a possessive Mrs ROGERS.” I declared openly.

“You are blind. Can't you see what he did?” She taunted me. “He's up to something...... Bigger. Heinous.” She whispered.

She claims to love him, yet she doesn't know him. I know Mark has a lot of secrets but one thing is sure, he's not bad despite everything. I can feel it.

“I thought you wanted to help me.” Instead of answering me, she got up and gave me a sympathetic look. We both have a lot to say to each other but there is something which we can't speak. Our love for my husband.

“Mark is not a bad person, just he has a problem with trusting people.” She said.

“I know this more than anybody.”

“You make him happy. Be patient with him.” She gave me another friendly advice before leaving.

Finally, I am home. His home.

I started cleaning, laundry; and kids are not helping either. Valerio is not here to take Eli, and I am happy for that but I need extra help.

Abioye is consistently crying for his Dada and Eli is scared to even look at him. He is restless, doesn't even allow us to do anything for him.

It was hard but I managed. Finally, all kids were sleeping and I made sure to lock the doors, window. That's when I saw a silhouette.

There is someone.

Danger...

Unlocking the gun, I locked my kid's room for their safety and went outside to confront.

Pointing the gun at hidden silhouette, I moved slowly to him. He is distracted. My chance to kill him. But, It was one of the members. He had a sandwich and looked astonished.

“Are you fine, Mrs Rogers?” He asked.

“What are you doing here?” I questioned him back.

“One of us is always around the house, since Mr Rogers is not here.” He explained. “We always around you all except those time when Mr Rogers is with you all.”

That's what Hunter meant when he said that my security cost higher than they assumed. It means I had guards around me almost all the time without my awareness.

“You seem hungry.” I removed the gun and glared at him. No matter I know him, but I don't trust anybody with my kid's safety. “You can sleep in the guest room.”

“That was so generous of you, Mrs Rogers. But we have our room.....” He pointed the abandoned outhouse. “We have an arrangement there. We are usually up all night.”

“That outhouse is abandoned. It is almost disarrayed.”

“Don't judge a book by its cover.” He said and left.

His words were true in every sense. I trusted Mark because of the concerns he shows to me, but he never trusted me.

Next morning, while arranging Savannah's room Hunter ran to hug me. 

His dark circles, exhausted look...

“I am so sorry. I should have been here with you when..." Hunter couldn't say anything. “I am sorry.” He hugged and cried. “She's awake.”

She's awake.

I understood he's talking about Savannah. I was relieved to hear this news. Otherwise, I would have been tagged as a murderer. It was more or less self-defence, I never want Savannah to die.

“Is she ok?” I asked.

“Yes, Mrs. Rogers. But... She was asking for you.” He almost whispered thinking that I hate her. But no, I don't hate her. That girl seems insecure about everything in her life. She fears me the most, actually. I know, she thinks me as threat, afraid that I'll snatch her father from her.

“Why was she asking about me?” As these words left my mouth, Hunter stiffed. He seems surprised, not with words but my tone. I was calm. Because I know, she's harmless once I assure her that I will never take her father away from me. She could be a good sister, I think that.

“She's sorry.” He said. “She's not bad. She w…was....”

“She was just drunk... And has the habit of assuming worse.” I finished it. “I am impressed with the way she fought even though she was drunk. She's protective of her family.”

“You don't hate her?”

“No. Why would I hate her? It's not like she manipulates Mark against me.” I shrugged off. “No one will replace her. She is his first child. He will love her like he loves Sylvia. Always.”

“Will you love her?”

“Love is a bidirectional. I can't love her until she's ready to love me back..... What do you think?”

“She is trying, I think.” He said absentmindedly.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked but he didn't answer me. After a while, he nodded waiting eagerly for my words. “Will you teach me how to kill?”

“So, you want to kill someone.”