2 | Memory Lane

I'd love it if you could send in some covers for the book! ♡ (in need of some lol)

Chapter track: If They Only Knew by Alfie Arcuri.

[ LUCA'S POV ]

She looked the same as she did back then.

Not that I expected her to change a lot. At least not physically.

She was so beautiful. Memories of the times she'd throw her head back laughing like a little kid resurfaced. How her eyes would twinkle beneath the light and an aura of innocence would surround her. I felt a familiar wave of protectiveness flow through me at the relief in her big, pretty brown eyes.

Walking past the bookstore I was surprised to say the least to witness the scenario taking place through the windows. That need of putting myself on the line to ensure her safety kicked in and before I knew it I was crashing head first into the door.

Fortunately, the culprit fell to the floor with a thud at the blow delivered to him from behind.

It took everything in me to keep my feet planted and not embrace her in my arms.

"Luca..."

My eyes screwed shut momentarily as my name slid off Della's tongue. It was so smooth, enticing, distracting...

"What the hell are you doing here?"

And there was the girl that unfortunately began to appear more frequently than my princess - my then princess.

Slowly, I approached her. "A little thank you would suffice you know."

"Thank you," she spat sarcastically. "But as you can see I was handling myself just fine."

My eyes followed to where she pointed to find another man lying on the floor, unmoving. I turned back to her a little unnerved.

"Is he dead?"

Her eyes widened for a split second. It was almost too comical to watch.

"No!"

She backtracked. "At least I don't think so."

I shook my head. Gratefulness clouded my mind at the thought that she was purposely ignoring the topic of us. The timing would indeed be strange but Della was infamous for such things.

My feet carried me over to the man. I stooped down and pressed my fingers to his neck for a pulse.

My eyes flew up to her.

Slowly but surely it came - her shriek.

"Oh my god! Oh my god, oh gawd!"

A known habit kicked in as she covered her ears with her hands. Anytime the occurrence of my dirty jokes used to take place she'd do this. She shook her head from left to right which caused her wavy reddish-brown hair to flow all around her in the most adorable manner.