20 | Evolution

Chapter track: This Is What It Takes by Shawn Mendes.

[ LUCA'S POV ]

Heat flashed through me, surging through my blood, wandering into my extremities and to my head as my fingers curled tighter around the phone in my grasp. "So she just ran away?"

Brian sighed on the other end. "Yeah...I feel so sorry towards her."

I could not even begin to imagine it. How much of her pride she had to swallow to avoid him like she did. What part of her personality she had to dispose of to react like that; so unlike her plucky self.

"There's someone else that's gonna be more sorry." I growled.

"Luca...don't tell me you're gonna-" He paused. "Are you gonna take him to court?"

"It's what he deserves after what he did."

"But Della doesn't want to." He pointed out.

"Della doesn't know what she wants." I argued strongly.

"I know what Damien did was wrong but can't you just forgive and forget once he formally apologises like he's planning on doing?"

"A mere 'sorry' can't fix what he's done," My words struggled to not display my temper. "He hit her. He did that to my girl."

"I know that..."

"Then if you know, stop trying to be so empathic to both sides and see the clear picture here. Damien is dangerous. Fact. To think that he performed such a disgusting act out of spite makes me feel as if I didn't know him in the first place. No, actually, it makes me know him even better."

As a knock sounded from outside my bedroom door I slid to the edge of my bed, my attention now divided.

"Come in," I granted.

My eyes almost popped out of their sockets when I saw Della standing there once she turned the knob. I had totally forgotten about her coming over to tutor. I gestured for her to come inside and she did, standing awkwardly in the spacious area like she always did. As if she didn't know what to do with herself. It seemed like she had a worse case of this today however. Truthfully, she wasn't acting like herself lately. For one, her style of dressing had done a full three-hundred and sixty degree turn for the dark side. It wasn't that she was a pink fanatic before or anything but most of what she wore these days consisted of black and reached below her knees. Especially the unkemptness of her attire. I knew it was all because of the awful state she was in, not fit at all to compare to her ever-ethereal self.

It was like she was desperate to not be noticed by anyone. Therefore she settled in concealing herself physically - she did not want to stand out.

I wanted to tell her how badly she was failing at doing so.

Of course Della noticed me immediately, gracing me with a smile, while all I could do in retribution was just nod.

Fake.

"Hey...Hello? Luca!" Brian's voice knocked me from my thoughts, and for a second I thought to reply with just that as well, but it seemed like my brain finally turned itself on.

"Repeat what you just said." Della looked at me strangely for my lack of focus on my conversation.

She looked away as soon as my eyes travelled down to the stack of books she had placed in my studying area.

"Brian, I think I'm going to have to call you back." I hung up after his short goodbye.

"Are you planning on opening a library or something?" I teased, referring to the texts.