6 | Not So Secret Rendezvous

[ LUCA'S POV ]

Mother.

She stood there rigidly upon revealing herself from the dark. Her face told me nothing and I began to wonder just how much of our interaction she had seen.

Nerves got the best of me and I scrambled over to hold her by the shoulders. I attempted to turn her away from Della so I could successfully lead her back into the house with nonchalance.

"Nothing. She's a classmate that was giving me something I left behind in Chemistry today." I lied straight through my teeth.

Curiosity never left her eyes. Mother crooked her head back to glance at the uncomfortable girl once more.

Suddenly I was aware of how she must look to her; she was immaculate, not a hair out of place, and here Della was in her washed out jeans, band tee and battered converse. She took all the time in the world to pick at the girl's somewhat flaws. Perfect imperfections, in my eyes. The way her dark messy hair was reflective in the light - a stark contrast of her. The prospect of how mother was able to be the polar opposite of Della scared me.

I never fully saw it until now.

"Yeah," Della chimed. "Just a classmate."

I did not miss how her eyes shined with hurt. But it was only for a second. It happened so fast I wondered if it was my imagination.

My mother turned on her heels and concentrated on the sudden person in question. I did not know how things shifted to being a visit to the prosecutor's office. I realised she was about to continue the conversation. A wave of irritation washed over me.

"And what exactly did he leave behind?"

"Excuse me?"

Playing the interrogator role far too well mother stepped forward. "Where is the item you have returned to my son?"

How caught off guard Della appeared was quite evident.

She continued. "Frankly I do not find it appropriate that a young lady journeys to a boy's house in the middle of the night to return something that could be done tomorrow. When the sun is up and all can be seen."

I scoffed. "It is hardly 'the middle of the night'. Don't exaggerate, mother."

"And I was the one that insisted that she brought it to me." I looked to Della who nodded frantically.

If it was any other scenario I would have taken the time to marvel at how cute she looked.

Sharp eyes met mine. "What is 'it' exactly?"

I blinked.

Why was she so observant?!

I didn't have anything on me. No book, binder, not even a pen.

Think fast!

"Cash!" My hands dug into the pocket of my sweatpants and revealed the money I recalled placing inside, subconsciously wincing at the five dollar bill.

All of us regarded the note in my palm in silence.

"Do you expect me to believe she came to bring you a mere five dollar?"

"Mother," I clucked my tongue at the roof of my mouth. "You have any idea how many people out there would die for this? Just because my wealth is a privilege doesn't mean I shouldn't cherish it."

She stared at me open mouthed. "What-"

"God has blessed us," I said, grasping her hands with the most sincere look I could muster. "We should be grateful for every, small, small, small blessing."

I sighed sadly.

Forever seemed to pass before she spoke.

"Alright...I guess."

Della looked at her as if she had grown two heads. She could not believe she had bought that bullshit.

I winked at her slyly then focused on the woman before me.

Another resigned sigh left my parted lips as I puffed out my cheeks. I peeked at her expression from the side.

She nodded but seemed a bit out of it.

"Thank you...I guess." She said to Della.

My ex-girlfriend gave an urgent shake of her head. "No need!" Her expressive brown eyes set on me. "Uh-h Luca was very persuasive with his arguments for those in need."

What seemed to be the end of a destructive confrontation only was the beginning.

That was when mother's eyes had noticed the envelope in Della's hand.

Fuck.

With the scariest eyes she looked back up at me.

Then she gestured for both of us to follow her into the house.

Della and I looked to each other, our faces reflecting the same emotions. The most prominent one showing how completely terrified we were.

I did not imagine the first time taking a girl home to meet my folks to be like this.

***

A/N: Haha, Luca you messed up really bad! Let's see how you'll worm your way out of this one...