12 | Desperate

[ DELLA'S POV ]

At some point in one's life there comes a point - a breaking point - where all the condolences and apologies seem to become one big, useless ball of nothingness. It reeks of disrespect and desperation for you to believe their obvious lies and drops your faith level to below zero.

As I watched my mom's slim figure standing frozen in front of the frying pan after dad had whispered something fleeting yet impactful into her ears, his hands clasped apologetically, I knew she decided to tune out all those 'sorrys'.

The click of the stove was heard as she turned it off before smoothly pivoting to face him. 

She was still wearing her work clothes; a black pencil skirt halting at her knees and a cream fitted cardigan that highlighted her thin waist. Her chocolate-colored hair, a shade darker than mine aside from a few strands, was styled up with a hairclip, tickling the nape of her neck.

My mom had been working non-stop all week. With doing the same I barely had the time to realize how much I missed her presence until now. 

My attention broke away from the veins that made an appearance in her neck to the pair of rough hands that grabbed hers. "I'm sorry, honey," the man said urging her to look up. Dark eyes, wrinkled skin. A face I sometimes wished was just another nameless one in a crowd.

Her small fists tightened as they flung themselves into the chest of my dad. She beat at it repeatedly, her face not quite displaying the anger she was feeling. It was almost like it was a numb reaction.

Dad just stood there taking it all.

"The only crime I've ever committed is being poor!" She choked up finally before collapsing to the floor.

My feet moved automatically to go and help her up but dad beat me to it. But she refused his hands.

"Don't touch me- don't you dare after what you did!"

He shook his head adamantly. "How was I supposed to know that my friend for over ten years would scam me?!"

"I don't care that you were scammed! I care that you used our life savings!" She glared up at him with the tears lingering at the corners of her eyes, refusing to fall. "What am I going to do now? Oh poor Della. My baby...how am I supposed to tell her this when she's worked so hard?"

"Dad got scammed?" 

I could barely register that I was the one who had spoken. It was so whimsical I had even surprised myself.

Mom was on her feet in less than a second. She wiped at her eyes as she hid her face away and I repeated my question.

Ignoring me, she turned around quickly, a smile lighting up her face as her eyes met mine.

"There you are, dear!" She exclaimed overjoyed, rubbing her hands in her apron before coming to pull me into a hug.

I was stiff while I asked. "Mom, do we need money?"

She pulled back and brushed her hands over my cheeks, the smile still there but her eyes wavering. "Don't be silly."

"But I just heard-"

"What you heard was nothing. I'll take care of it." She stared me down as she became serious for a second. "Now go wash up."

I lingered before nodding. 

I gazed to find dad staring down at the floor. 

Coward. 

I was disappointed I could not get my chance to show him how I was feeling at the moment.