19 | Threat

[ DELLA'S POV ]

When I was younger I thought the world revolved around me. There was positively no way my mom would remove herself from the spot she held beside me on the couch, doe eyes shining down with pure admiration. That despite dad's resolution not to miss the Super Bowl on television he'd had to, he couldn't resist my aura and so with the remote in his hand, had been frozen in time while I napped.

The truth to my beliefs was like being gifted the most flavoursome-looking candy only to find out it was as bitter as tonic. An act of treachery in colorful wrapping.

I would open my eyes to find that my mom had disappeared into the kitchen to fix us dinner. My dad would be seated somewhere close in proximity as he chatted excitedly about the New York Giants' win.

That was how I got my wake-up call to reality.

And as the days go by after my awful experience at Brian's party, I began to realize to a further extent how much the world could go on without me. While I was left spinning on my axis, internally struggling to find balance with life, no one seemed to care. It was almost as if nothing had happened.

I couldn't blame them though. 

There was no evidence that remained. No signs of the harassment I had undergone; all inclusive of the fading bruise on my temples, swollen lips and the slight limp in my walk. 

I was back to 'normal'.

Whatever that meant.

"I'm gonna chop off my dick and feed it to him so he chokes on his bullshit!"

I was on the sidewalk, gawking at the girl upon her exclamation at my revelation of the bad news.

People shook their heads at her crudeness, and in public at that, and created more distance as they walked past.

"Why not chop off his own dick?" Bailee removed the lollipop from her mouth with a confused tilt of her head. 

She was not even the slightest bit moved by Ashley's scarily blunt words.

"Because I'll need to use that to shove so far up his ass he'll start seeing Della as the Saviour and beg for forgiveness."

The enlightened blonde 'ahhh'ed.

She resumed devouring her sweets. I turned my focus to Ashley who was kicking the loosened cobblestones out her way like a madwoman.

"Um, Ash?"

She looked up at the sound of my voice, her feet stopping their assault. She blew out a breath and I was afraid she'd start shouting obscenities.

"Are you okay?" I queried cautiously.

She let out a heavy sigh, her eyes rolling back in her head.

Oh no.

Here it came.

I braced myself for the fit she was about to throw but instead I found myself being embraced.

"Isn't that something I should be asking you?" She mumbled, squishing me into a hug.

My arms wrapped around her awkwardly. 

Ashley was most certainly not the hugging type. I didn't know what to do with this sudden display of affection.

When she felt wetness on her shoulder, she pulled away and held me at arm's length. 

"Don't cry, jerkface," she warned seriously. "Or else you'll make me cry."