3 | Crybaby

I forgot to mention that this book will be in duo POV. Meaning it will have both Della's POV and Luca's POV. It won't exactly be consecutive in the later chapters so please pay attention to this.

[ DELLA'S POV ]

I waved my hand no at Mrs. Lee's overly generous salary. If I peeped into the white envelope one more time my eyes would turn into dollar signs.

"I couldn't possibly take this, Mrs. Lee."

She pressed the paper to my palms and folded it tightly. "I insist. Especially with the incident that happened that night. I cannot begin to imagine what would have happened if you had not protected yourself."

My mouth turned down. "It really isn't a big deal. Knowing your husband is alright is enough for me."

"Think of it as an allowance. You deserve so much for what you do for your family."

Yes, Mrs. Lee was aware of my circumstances. That being because basically everyone was.

When news got out about my dad's job loss and involvement with those loan sharks it was the talk of the town.

I lost all my so-called friends. They didn't want someone munching off them I figured -- albeit I had too much pride to do that. The fact that they didn't even know the depth of my personality said a lot.

I wasn't fazed by that of course. I wasn't that kind of girl who needed someone to make me happy.

Becoming the no-friends-but-it's-fine-because-there's-always-food type of girl was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

Next to had been the girl that got lucky and scored the dreamy guy.

Luca Meyers.

Some girls called him 'Sex on Legs' but I labelled him 'Poor in Bed'.

Post break up revenge.

Relatable right?

It wasn't the truth at all. Far from it actually...

But with my hatred for him brought my hostile nature. His disregard for that only made me angrier. The fact that he so casually blamed everything on me too.

I was not the one that made us like this.

He was.

I stopped myself from going into the past. I knew if I dived in too far there was a sea of memories ready to pull me under and make me drown.

I smiled. "I promise to put in some extra work."

She just patted my cheeks affectionately before disappearing in her office.

My shift was over and it was time to head out. Friday evening and I had no choice but to spend it making deliveries.

The fast food joint where I also part timed was in high demand. They had customers coming and going like people would at a clearance sale. It was insane how busy the place was sometimes. That was one of the reasons why it was good to work at Lee's where the environment differed drastically and allowed me to breathe.

"Heading out already?"

I turned to see my co-worker Patrick. 

My respect for him was immense. He had just started college and being in the same situation as I was, financially lacking, he worked jobs to pay for his books and tuition fees. However one could consider him luckier than I was due to the helpful inheritance money he received after his parents' death. Oddly enough he chose not to spend it.