14 | Jealousy

Chapter track: Love Is Blind by Fergie.

[ DELLA'S POV ]

The leaves of trees glistened in the mild spring day, the sort when we kids were so happy to run outside without jackets. I sped to the neighbour's house because they had a swing. With my chubby legs I pumped higher and higher. My hair flopped backwards as my face felt the warm sunlight and forwards as I faced the ground on the backward swing. I can't recall how I fell, just the dull thump of hitting the dirt. I lay there unable to breathe, all the wind knocked right out of both lungs. I heaved but no air passed in.

"Do you need some help?"

I looked up to see a pair of the most hypnotic blue eyes.

One of the first things I remember about Luca Meyers is that he was the kid who sat at the back of the classroom, always graffiting on the desk with his colored pencils. And he had the habit of kicking the chair of the pretty girl in front of him but when she turned around to tell him off, he'd just flash the biggest, toothless smile at her; that was how he'd always got his way. I'd always admired his ability to worm his way out of any situation.

"Yes, please." My words were yet merely a squeak but he heard them nonetheless and helped me up.

I brushed off my dirt covered clothes thinking about how my mom was going to scold me.

"Um..." He pointed to my bare feet awkwardly.

My eyes widened into saucers at the sight. Where in heaven's name were my shoes?!

I started searching around the area with my hands undergoing the filth of it all. But I could care less. I needed to go home with my feet covered and not risk any additional punishment.

I did not notice him beside me until I sensed his presence upon the ruffling of leaves. 

He was digging through a pile in his clothes that were as white as the clouds above. 

I felt bad for being the one to indirectly taint something that looked so much like an angel.

"Found them!"

I was quick in getting by his side. He was smiling as if he had done the impossible. Pride seeped through the gaps of his puberty gifted perfect teeth.

Oh how shy and uncomfortable I was back then. With cheeks that always seemed flushed and curls that did a lively dance. I pushed them out of my face to get a better view of him.

"T-Thank you."

He only continued smiling.

"So what's your name?" He finally asked while taking a seat on one of the swings.

"Della." I slowly sat down too.

His gasp caught my attention. 

"What?" 

That shocked expression morphed into something humorous. I watched as he laughed, throwing his head back. The dirt beneath his feet got kicked up as he lost all control of himself.

"What?" I whined completely unaware of what was so funny.

I was shocked when he pointed at my little dress. My parents had been saving it for my birthday - blue velvet with a white lace collar and cuffs. I had taken it out to play in and sneak it back but what happened didn't allow for that to be an option anymore. But thanks to his comments -