32 | Self-control

Chapter track: Take You Down by Chris Brown.

[ DELLA'S POV ]

The sound of cutlery woke me up from my slumber. With my eyebrows drawn together I glanced around the room, gripping the silk sheets underneath my body. The warmth of Luca lingered in the spot beside me that had sunken with a tell-tale of him having been there. I wondered where he had wandered off to. As insignificant the emotion was in the moment, I began to panic. I swung my legs off the bed, raising my arms up to stretch. I grimaced at my clothes being wrinkled from sleeping too long.

"Luca?" I called out between yawning a bit too loudly. Opening the door and glancing down at the hallway, I sighed and left the room, shutting the door behind me and made my way down the grand staircase. I peered around the corner and saw a figure standing in the dining room. "Oh..."

Luca turned around at the sound of my voice. He signaled for me to take a seat, that he'll only take a minute and that's when I realized he was on the phone.

I smiled at him before doing so.

He made more distance between us as he went behind me and continued chatting. Most likely final court stuff.

Damien Thornton hadn't died but he might as well have. There was a retrial regarding his criminal offences and he was found guilty of his crimes. He was sentenced to twenty five years in prison without a chance of parole. Although those years may seem like a lifetime to others they did not come across as enough for what he had put me through. I hated being the bad guy because that was what such thoughts made you but what he had done almost made me wish the bullet hadn't missed wherever it had.

There was breakfast already made before me on the long table and I waved at Luca to get his attention.

'Thank you' I mouthed.

He shook his head dismissively almost as if he was saying it was no big deal.

My eyes went to the fork before I started digging in not wanting the food to get cold.

Five minutes hadn't passed before I heard his enticing voice address me.

"Glad you're finally awake..." I jumped and turned around seeing Luca leaned against the wall with his hands tucked in his pocket. I quickly dabbed at my mouth and got up to stand before him.

"Uh, yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sleep this long. What time is it anyways?" He informed me that it was barely past midday.

"He's going to go away for a long time. You won't have to worry about the likes of him anymore." He said after a beat passed and I knew to whom he was referring.

I simply nodded my head and looked back at the plate of food. The little I had consumed started to come up back at the memories of last week. "I can't believe he almost killed me..." I choked, messing with the hem of my shirt. The sudden sound of Luca shifting over to me made heart rate pick up.

He held me by the hands before prompting me to take a seat.

"He wouldn't have killed you - you know?" I glanced down to him squatting down beside me, his eyes scanning across my clothes. "Come on, let's get you washed up in my room."

"Y-Your room?" I choked out.

Luca nodded his head and grabbed my hands as he led me back up the staircase. My heart was thumping louder as I noticed Luca was leading me back down to the familiar room. As he flipped on the light I noticed the little details in his room: small antiques, a pile of clothes, a music production set up, shoes, a bathroom, and his night table which was decorated with a picture of him and me.