29 | Playing With Fire

Chapter track: Tag You're It by Melanie Martinez.

[ DELLA'S POV ]

The cracking of fire escaped the fireplace of the large room, and I had no choice but to bask in the heat which came from it. It was a cold winter's day and I really did not want to be freezing to death, especially when I was in nothing but my undergarments. Luckily for my pride's sake, a silk robe adorned me which covered my half-naked body.

This was not a common occurrence for a girl like me. I had been taken by him to an underground room that had a rather outstanding odour of rotting organisms and smoke. 

"Call him!"

I didn't even flinch when I heard the rage-filled voice of the piece of trash, as he slammed open the door. All I did was glare at him hoping my resentment could be seen clearly, before straightening my back in the chair I was tied to, only to say:

"Go to hell."

~ 5 hours ago ~

"I can't go there now Ashley. I have my job to go to. Yeah, I'm sorry. Thanks for understanding." I slid my cellphone in the front pocket of my jeans before turning to address my dad who was dressed up all fancy. 

"Are you headed somewhere important?" 

The sight of him in a suit was a blurry memory of my childhood. It was a rare occurrence for him to even fix himself up, that only took place with the miraculous act of shaving his facial hair, when there was a funeral. Morbid, I know.

He smiled at my question.

Smiled I tell you.

I watched the act with suspicion. My eyes analyzed every part of him to see if there were any clues for his motives in his attire but the polka dot tie only gave me a sense of dislike at his queer fashion taste.

"I have an interview." His tone was swimming in happiness.

"Oh, have fun then." I said quickly before rushing out the door not wanting to be late for my shift. 

However, I was re-opening the door and poking my head inside once again with furrowed brows as I thought about if I had processed his words correctly. "An interview? As in-"

"Yes," he sighed, playfully. "A job interview."

My hands clapped together as I could barely contain my excitement. "Oh my god dad, that's amazing!"

"Tell me something I don't know." He joked.

"Have you told mom as yet?" I inquired.

She'd be over the moon after hearing such good news.

"No," he said and I frowned. "And you better not tell her. I want it to be kept a secret in case things don't turn out the way I want them to."

I understood what he was saying. He wanted to save her the trouble of getting her hopes up then only to disappoint her in the end.

The latter had a higher chance since dad hadn't been working for quite some time now. There would be a deep investigation by this company on why that was the case after being so successful.

I had the same thought process when his company went under as well. Why hadn't he picked himself up and quickly gone straight back into the game? 

But I got the answer every time I saw him wither away in the corner of the living room, eyes apprehensive of scanning a newspaper.

His pride.

Dad was ashamed of himself for having allowed all his hard work to go down the drain like that in the first place.