24 | Blackmail

[ LUCA'S POV ]

Usually I didn't answer my phone whilst I was studying but for Della, I was willing to make an exception. As I steadily highlighted the key words of the notes from my last class, my phone started buzzing along the desk, flashing up a picture of a pouting Della, one taken without her noticing. With a little sigh, I abandoned my notes and grabbed my phone, answering with one swift swipe.

"I'm sorry but the person you are calling is trying to study as you've advised, please leave your message after the beep and they'll get back to you as soon as possible."

"Your little girlfriend is in trouble," Someone informed in a low and hoarse voice. My back straightened against my chair at the voice that didn't belong to Della. "If you don't do as I say, a rather..." He added, pausing for dramatic effect.

"Provocative picture of her will be circulated around the school by 8 a.m. tomorrow."

"Who is this?" I couldn't help but hiss.

"I would love to stay and chat but you see, it's showtime."

"Wait a second-"

"You can't say I didn't warn you."

The line went dead after that.

What the hell?

I was so stunned I could barely move for a second, but my fingers began to dial the number back.

I tried and tried but there was no answer.

A groan of frustration rippled from my throat. I pushed the chair out while standing. My hands tugged at the roots of my hair.

Before I knew it I was in my car. I put the key in, my hands a shaking mess as I started driving back to the school's campus where I knew Della hadn't left from. If only she'd agreed to me waiting so I could drop her home like I'd offered.

God, why was she always so stubborn?

My feet pressed down onto the pedal, increasing my speed.

There was no doubt about it. I was driving like a madman. But the thought of Della possibly being exposed like that to the entire student body caused something inside me to crack.

I had to make sure it wouldn't happen.

Fire scorched through my body like I had been doused in gasoline. It felt as if my blood had turned to lava and set my entire body alight but it didn't physically hurt. My heart was racing with anticipation. All I could focus on was getting there on time.

Be that as it may, I hadn't.

The sports complex was completely empty. When I asked the janitor about the girls' gym class whereabouts he said he hadn't seen anyone around for the past fifteen minutes.

Bile rose in my throat. Momentarily I felt lightheaded and could hardly stand properly.

Out in the parking lot, my phone started ringing.

The number was unknown.

"Meyers?"

I was caught off guard by the female's voice.

"Yes, this is he."

"It's Ashley - Della's friend."

"I know who you are." I said, still wondering what was the reason for her call.

She got straight to the point like I wanted. "Something has happened to Della. I really didn't want to make a big deal out of it because people pull pranks like this all the time,"