8 | Decisions

Chapter track: Think Before I Talk by Astrid S.

[ LUCA'S POV ]

I was sure I was hearing things.

Most definitely.

Because I swore to god my mother just ordered my ex-girlfriend to become my tutor.

"You've got to be kidding me," Both Della and I said in unison, as if our minds were wired together. Pretty sure this conversation with my mother had caused us to agree upon many things we hadn't in a while but sometimes there was a line of ridiculousness that should not be crossed - and that was Della being my tutor. Who in their right mind would even suggest such a thing with what happened between us? But then again mother was clueless to it all.

Still.

"Her? Tutor me?" I asked, completely baffled. "I might as well ask the student body president while we're at it!"

Della coughed from beside me. "Uh...I'm the student body president."

I blinked at her. 

"Is there anything you don't do at that school?" I pointed my finger towards her.

She glanced at it with a frown.

When she didn't answer I redirected my attention.

"Mother this is absurd. She can't possible help me get better grades." I laughed.

"Thanks for the confidence boost, Luca." Della glared, her brown eyes fading into darkness.

I winced at how offensive that may have sounded. I went to correct myself. "I didn't mean it like tha-"

"Children," My mother groaned. "I do not have the time to watch you argue about this. Luca you said it yourself, stated your dislike for your current teachers. So who else could do a better job than the top student at your school? You can adapt her skills and hopefully go back to the old you. Furthermore, it's not like she is going to be doing this for free."

Della's form tensed beside me. 

A wave of anger washed over me. "Mother..."

She shooed me as if I was some irritable fly. "Don't go blowing up a storm over something like this."

I opened my mouth to speak but was expertly cut off.

Della jumped at the sound of her name. She had been deep in thought, the skin between her eyebrows wrinkled. The urge to smoothen it out with my thumb was strong.

"You don't mind having to tutor Luca after school for the next few months do you? Name your price."

She was basically ordering Della around than asking for a favour. I hated that habit of hers of thinking that everyone had to bend to her will. The fact that she outrightly offered her money in front of my face did not sit well with me either.

The semi-redhead was like a fish out of water. Her mouth opened and closed then did so again.

Unfortunately it wasn't amusing in the moment.

I stepped up. "Della has to get going." Silently sliding my arm around her back, I stood her up.

"I am not done speaking," Mother incessantly reached for her dragging her to her side. "What do you say? Are you in agreement?"

I tugged at the roots of my hair in frustration. She was fumbling over her words once more. Relief came when she responded after a deep breath, a crystal clear 'no'.