7 | Beneath

[ DELLA'S POV ]

About fifteen minutes later we had covered everything and sat ourselves in the living room.

Impressive but elegant, assorted chairs, a few appeared comfortable while others did not but upright with padded seats and carved backs, paintings of landscapes, magazines neatly arranged on a large central mahogany table...indeed it was the home of the wealthy.

"So let me get this straight," Luca's mother began. "My son had been given a copy of your report card by a friend of a friend to give to you because it had been mailed to their house. Have you having had the issue of a broken mailbox?"

Luca peered at her from behind the glass of orange juice.

"Absolute rubbish."

I winced at her tone. Even more so when those deadly eyes settled onto me.

"Young lady do you care to speak now? Because from what I am seeing Luca is the only one doing the talking and he now holds a high place on my list of liars."

"Mother," he whined.

"Why would I be lying about something so trivial?" He linked his arm with her own as he scooched over, pressing himself to her like a puppy dying for attention.

She glared down at him seemingly unimpressed.

"You ought to be ashamed of yourself for having that report in your name. Our name. The fact that I believe you or not is unnecessary because what is true is that this girl beat you for first place." The way she pointed at me made me feel little. I could not help but have a certain inferiority complex when it came to her. She was the epitome of perfection when it came to a woman and I began to imagine just how pitiful she may have seen me as.

I rubbed my sweaty palms against the surface of my jeans. I watched as her eyes followed my movement and how her eyebrows lifted in judgement.

My hands fisted by my side as I bit my lip. I tore my gaze away, unable to bear it any longer.

I could feel the sigh leave me upon Luca's intervention.

"She has always been getting first place. It isn't something that's new. She's a hardworking girl."

I was surprised when he put in a compliment there for me. 

I did not need his mother's approval per se but the way her eyes widened in realization with a sudden light in them had a flutter erupting in my chest.

"So you are the Della Anderson that I have heard so much about?"

Her views on me had completely changed based on my academics and the way she amicably said my name told all.

"Do you know me?" I looked to Luca but he just shrugged.

Mrs. Meyers smiled and her pearly teeth were displayed. "Do I know you? Gosh, you were the talk of the town at the last parent-teachers meeting. I was completely mesmerized by the school's love for you."

I laughed nervously. 

She moved to the edge of the couch, curiosity swimming in her eyes. "If you don't mind me asking, just what is your secret?"

"Uh..."

"Don't be shy."

From the corner of my eyes I saw Luca's hand going around to scratch the back of his head.

I was having difficulty finding the right words.

"Studying?"

An outburst of laughter came from beside her. Luca was having a hard time trying to compose himself. His face was burning red as he clamped down on his mouth.

His mother appeared disappointed with my answer as she drew back. "Ah..."

"Well I do congratulate you on your first place. I'm sure your parents must be proud. I cannot say the same for myself however..."

Awkwardly, I looked to see Luca's face relax into a flat expression.

"With all the investment I put into him one would think he'd be consistent in repaying the favor with good grades." And her not so subtle jabs at Luca went on. I could not help but feel an uncomfortable and tense air settling around us.

"It would just be so great if you had a daughter like Della instead right?" He finally succumbed to her taunting.

Somehow I had become the bad guy here.

Mrs. Meyers clasped her hands together as she regarded him. "Well I wouldn't exactly object..."

"Sorry to burst your bubble mother but that's a long shot now with your age,"

She gasped.

"And have you ever thought that I could get satisfactory grades only if you, I don't know, got someone like Della that I could relate to and not lifeless professors with saliva control issues?"

There was a moment of silence before she spoke.

I had been holding my breath in fear of what she'd say to him. Luca had no doubt gone too far with this one.

Though it did not come as a surprise with the many hints he always gave of his relationship with his mother being unstable.

"For once," she started calmly. "You and I have something we agree on."

"Pardon?" He blinked.

Mrs. Meyers stood and paced the room's length. Her forefinger tapped at her chin in thought before she swirled around to gaze down at me.

"You."

"Me?" I squeaked.

She nodded. 

The woman then pointed at her son. "Tutor him."

One beat.

Two beats.

Three beats.

"What?!" Luca and I blurted together.

***

A/N: No words. 

Thanks for reading! Continue to do your voting and stuff because reading your comments make me smile like an idiot.