22 | Fight

[ LUCA'S POV ]

Della hopped around outside the courtroom like a rabbit on crack. She was trying her best not to voice the plethora of thoughts running across her mind. I listened to her mother who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time whisper into her phone, an annoyed expression painting her face. "You know what? Do whatever pleases you. I'll support her on my own....like it's always been."

Her busybody daughter could hardly call herself a part of the audience of the conversation. This wasn't the first time I've seen her lose her cool but this was the first time I'd actually witnessed her being rendered into a state of catatonic reticence.

It was strange.

When we had discussed with the lawyer about the case's procedures and other things related to how the day would go about, she'd been nothing but confident.

However, thirty minutes until showtime, Della's excitement died down. 

Her façade of fortitude had come crashing down.

"Oh God," she finally said out loud. "What if I forget my lines? What if I get so distracted that I forget what I'm here for? Or worse! What if I forget what he looks like!"

"Whoa," I interrupted her self-doubt. "Where did that come from?"

"I think you're on the edge of bursting, honey," Mrs. Anderson observed. "Take a deep breath -- yes that's it -- great, now just remember how wronged you feel and channel all of that. You won't do all of the work but because there was no plea agreement you'll have to give a testimony. When you stand on that panel and do so I want you to perform really well, so they're all impressed by your strength. Just like I am."

"But I'm so nervous that I feel like I'll screw up."

"You won't,"

"I want to run away." Della admitted.

"Don't be silly," Her mother said with an encouraging smile. "You'll be great!"

"No mom, but I'm freaking out," Della continued. "Seriously, what if—"

"Do you want to be a coward all your life?" Mrs. Anderson questioned, suddenly serious. "Because that is exactly what you'll be if you do not proceed with this case. One tends to lose the grip on themselves later on in life whenever they become burdened with regrets. So, please – and this is me begging you – allow me to ease the weight of life off your shoulders as much as I can."

Della stopped fidgeting and looked at her mother with affection.

"I'll do it." 

"Will you, really?" Her mother asked.

"Really. I just need you to tell me that everything will be okay and I'll believe that."

"In that case, everything will be just fine. Trust me."

Della was pulled into a quick embrace. I saw a tear roll down her cheek. She buried her face into her mother's professional wear, not the least bit concerned about her makeup staining the material.

On cue, the door was pulled open and we were told it was time to begin.

Mrs. Anderson gave Della's hand a small squeeze before she ushered her inside.

I had turned around to walk away, but the woman grabbed my arm, stopping me.

"Do you...like my daughter?" She asked carefully.

I bit my bottom lip, looking for the right way to say this. "With the way she makes me this nervous – yes. Very much so."

I was not sure how Della would react to me basically confessing my feelings for her to her mother. It worried me but at the same time...I was relieved.

I was so happy that we wouldn't be walking on eggshells anymore with whatever approval we craved.

Her eyebrows raised at my forwardness.

"I don't usually concern myself about her choices because as you may know she's a smart girl," She said. "But if you hurt my baby girl-"

"I wouldn't dare dream of doing so."

Her eyes, ones that resembled Della's, just watched me for a minute. 

Then a smile made its way onto her lips.

"Good," Mid-step she turned around again to say, "Thank you for being a witness today as well."

"Yes, o-of course." 

She went and stood beside Della. Like that, our eyes crossed paths across the room.

I couldn't wrap my head around the situation.

Was that...

An acceptance?

"Quite a conversation you've got going there. Stuttering in the presence of the poor, tsk tsk," His voice had shattered the small sense of joy I was experiencing. "What's it like living so pathetically?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "You tell me."

His jaw tightened. "I didn't know you were someone to hold such a grudge, Luca."

"I could say the same about you being a total nutcase," I quipped. "I have a doctor I can recommend you to if you'd like."

"Always thought of me as a freeloader, didn't you?"

"What?"

"You heard me," he growled. 

"You just think you're so great. Some kind of superhero because your level of wealth makes you almost invincible. But you know what? Everyone has their weaknesses. For Superman it's kryptonite and the great Luca Meyers...." His dark eyes trailed off into the courtroom.

"I'm going to make sure you piss yourself at the thought of messing with her again," I stopped him.

"Ah, always so defensive," Damien said with a sigh. "It's like she has you tied around a leash. Woof, woof."

"The only dog here is you Thornton."

His eyes twitched at the insult.

I stepped forward, an act that made his expression falter. 

"And you'll be living exactly like one after this is over with. You speak about my wealth? Good. Acknowledge it as you should...because the scraps your shameless father picks at while kissing the higher ups asses won't save you. Remember you lost the only backing you have ever heard."

"Motherfūcker!" Damien said a little louder than he intended to and a few jury members turned their heads to look at him. "I'm going to-"

"I don't care."

"Don't you dare walk away from-"

"Or else what?" I cut him off. 

His mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

"Exactly."

He, understanding that this was a lost cause, and I wasn't going even hearing him out, just nodded. "Okay."

"Okay," I repeated. "Bring it on."

***

A/N: I know it's short *runs away and hides in a corner* but it was a necessary chapter for the events that are about to unfold. 👀

I love you guys so much. Writing this book makes me so happy so please continue to support me! :)