5 | All Over Again

Chapter track: Scared to Be Lonely by Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa.

[ DELLA'S POV ]

"Mom! Did you get an envelope with my report card?"

It was past five and I could not understand why my report had not been sent to my home as yet. I had a preference in physical delivery than going online despite it being hassle free. Something about holding my achievements gave me a further sense of pride.

"No!" She answered from downstairs. "Is something wrong?"

That was strange.

I sighed, wondering if I would have to wait until tomorrow to ask the office at school to send it via email.

The light from my phone caught my eye from the bedside table. 

My heart froze at a familiar number.

Even though I had deleted it my mind still had it engraved.

I watched it ring. 

After contemplating and deciding to answer, it stopped ringing as my hand outstretched.

A sudden sense of disappointment hit me.

Then excitement came when it began ringing again and I had answered before I could breathe.

My mouth opened but no words came out.

It was like my mind had been short circuited in the best way possible. I hated that a simple call was bringing back such silly emotions all over again.

His uneven breath filled my ears followed by his voice.

God, his voice...

Why couldn't he had not been a beautiful mistake?

"Della," he said.

I took a deep breath at the pain striking way my name rolled off his tongue.

A beat passed then oxygen began traveling back to my brain.

"Why are you calling me?" I hissed harshly.

His teeth ground against each other. "I find it amusing that you know it's me based on one word I uttered, Della."

"Shut up."

And stop saying my name like that!

"I would but you see, a mouth like mine deserves the pleasure of being put to good use."

Oh, god. Oh, god. Oh, god.

Why did that sound so...

My hands went to the side of my head as I shook it left to right hoping to filter my thoughts.

"S-Shut up!"

His laughter brought vibrations. 

I sucked in a sharp breath at the wonderful sound.

This entire conversation was sinful. It would be in my benefit to bring it to a quick ending.

"If you don't tell me the reason for being insensitive and calling me like this after everything that happened between us I'm going to hang up."

His voice went flat and cold. "Insensitive? Last time I checked your face is what comes up when that's typed into google."

"So mature of you, brick head."

"Said the girl that just called me 'brick head'."

"Aaaargh!"

He was so frustrating!