11 | Saudade

Chapter track: Miss You More by Katy Perry.

[ DELLA'S POV ]

It had been at least five days since I last saw Luca. After our emotional talk in the classroom and our eventual reconnection, his family went away on a trip to the Philippines. Business stuff, he said.

I didn't understand what that had to do with him but whatever. My life proceeded along like it always had. During that time I've found myself busier than ever- juggling my jobs and school assignments, especially group work. Oh, how I hated group work.

If I was given a choice between eating a jar of peanut butter and group work I'd choose the former.

And I was allergic to nuts.

The only plus, still debating whether or not the nature of it was so, was that I became close to one of my girl partners. She was hilarious; in a sarcasm dripping from almost every word kind of way. 

Ashley was a transfer from last year but she had already made a big name for herself as the typical badass wearing an invisible 'I make my own rules' sash. She didn't take no for an answer but mostly gave it as a reply. 

I was currently drawn to it.

I found her under the grand oak tree at lunch.

Bailee was sitting very close to her, their shoulders touching, shy smiles being exchanged, hands brushing discreetly. If it were anyone else I might have thought it was cute. But Ashley was Ashley, the person who stole others' hearts, girls' hearts, and discarded the pieces once they didn't fit the jigsaw puzzle of her own. I couldn't look at that and do anything other than grimace. They had full knowledge of her bad habits but still wanted the experience. It was an addiction.

I totally could understand why though. 

Ashley was on a whole other level of hot. Even as a girl, I could admit that. My eyes weren't made solely to admire boys and if I swung in the other direction I bet she'd be my flavour to taste.

"Ashley," I said, stopping in front of them both. The girl beside her hands were bunched up in her skirt, to hide the fact that they were shaking. "Can I talk to you for a moment?" As an afterthought I added, "You too, Bailee."

They sat up, gesturing to the empty patch of grass across from them.

"Sit down, Della. And what did you want to talk about?"

Awkwardly, I sat seiza and straight-backed. I bet I looked so formal and proper, even while plonked on a patch of grass. I gazed at the two of them under the sunlight. My eyes shifted to Bailee. I thought she was beautiful too. Most of the school did. Yet, she would modestly decline those claims, as if she were blind.

From the corner of my eye, I saw her intense gaze. She was looking disturbed at Ashley laying her hand on top of mine.

Thus I pulled my hand away as slowly as I could so that I wouldn't offend anyone.

"A friend of mine is coming back home in two days," I began. "He's been gone for a while and I was wondering if it'd be appropriate to do something for him?..."

Bailee flicked her sunflower blonde hair over her shoulder, the smell of floral shampoo tickling my nose, unbiting her lip as she exclaimed, "Of course you should! What girlfriend doesn't welcome home her man?"

"I didn't say he was my b-boyfriend..." I stumbled over my words.

"Oh," she pouted. "What a shame." Her eyes flickered over to Ashley who was busy typing away at her phone then back to me.

"Still."

I looked at her patiently.

"I think you should do something for him. Buy him a watch or something."

I winced at the mention of money.

It wasn't like I never bought a gift for Luca before- I have. It was just that it never managed to match up to the quality and price of what he would buy for me in return. So to quell my undesirable, insecure thoughts I had banned spending money on each other.

Regret washed over me as I thought about how he may have possibly been hurt by my words.

But he never showed such emotions.

Because he does everything you say, idiot!

I shook my head with a sigh.

"I want to do something simple. It's only been a week after all."

She tapped her chin in thought.

Ashley intervened. "How about a surprise party?" 

My mind processed her input. 

"That's a great idea!"

She looked as disinterested as always, her focus still on the device in her hand while Bailee was the complete opposite, springing from her seat in excitement.

"Okay," I agreed. It didn't have to be anything extravagant. Just the two of us. "Sounds great."

Ashley grunted.

"Great."

***

"That's it," I grumbled, flopping down on the bed. "That's the last time I text him."

Ashley snorted, not even looking up from her computer. Her mother, Mrs. Jones, was vacuuming the main room, so the two of us were shooed in here to add finishing pieces to our presentation. Not that it mattered really - Ashley had the better house of us two, so most of the time I ended up here anyways. Being uncomfortable with people knowing where I lived, I often gave excuses. Poor excuses which she didn't even bother to question.

Her fingers moved over the keyboard, frantically shooting the enemy of the game. I honestly had no idea what she was playing but it sounded very gory. "Yeah, I've heard that one before," she said, eyes narrowed at the screen.

I glared, kicking her from the end of the bed. "Rude. I mean it this time."

The dark haired girl wriggled away, laughing. "Yeah, I've also heard that one before."

At her snicker I frowned, staring down at the still-open conversation in my lap. Calling it a conversation would be a bit of a stretch, considering the last two texts exchanged were of him saying he was busy. Yet again. 

What was so important that his family had to extend that trip?

Sighing deeply, I balled myself up into the couch with pillows. "Maybe it's just me," I sighed. "Maybe I'm the one who's completely undateable."

"Don't be a drama queen."

"Maybe that's it," I continued dramatically so that it got on her nerves. "Maybe I'm too smart - I hear guys like dumb girls these days. Oh! And the easy ones too."

Ashley groaned - though whether it was at me or her game, I was unsure. "That's not it," she grumbled. "The guy's just an asshole."

At my expression of mock-outrage, she grinned finally catching on. "But I guess you like them like that."

I racked my mind for a sassy retort but all I came up with was a sigh. And it sounded dreamy as hell. I guess I really did miss him.

It'd been more than a week now. Nothing in comparison to the time frame of our breakup. But why did I feel like I couldn't go on much longer if I didn't see him? Know that he was doing well?

Having once lost love, the return of it makes you greedy.

***

A/N: Please remember to vote if you liked this chapter. :)

It's very early in the morning so excuse my grammatical errors (and my muscles are aching because I went hiking yesterday). I had this chapter here since last week but no internet so sorry about that. Do you guys think Della is being dramatic about the matter? Or is her reaction justifiable? And most importantly, what do you think of the new characters?

Also please don't be like me and get plenty of rest. You'll need it in the long run, trust me. Plus it's very good for your health. ♡