Prologue - Ground Zero

My name is Samantha Sky and when I was in the last year of high school, I had my whole future perfectly planned out.

After graduating I was going to head over to University to get a Master's Degree in Biology. I was set out to go to the best and most prestigious university, and become Dr. Samantha Sky.

After I was finished with university, I would get married to Brad, my highschool sweetheart, who I had been dating since I was 16. He was a sweet guy. The plan was to get married at the age of 24, and have my first kid by 25. I dreamed of having two kids, one boy and one girl. I'm an only child, so I know how lonely that can make one feel.

And then, we would live happily ever after.

I planned to find work in a little lab, and do whatever I could to help out Mother Earth to be restored to her best conditions. I have always been worried about the damage humanity is doing to our planet, and from as long as I can remember, I've been joining volunteer programs, and trying to reduce, reuse and recycle whenever possible.

It was all mapped out: a nice, simple, and normal life is everything I ever planned for.

The thing is that Antonella (my mother) had me when she was only 20 years old, and didn't really get a chance to go to college or plan her future, her whole life just... happened. So she always told me that I should be different, that I should do better. That I should go to university, get a degree, have a career, succeed. Such was the order of things.

My mum didn't like to talk about my father either, which means I had no clue who he was, what he looked like, or even what his name was. So it is basically just us two against the world. Well, there's also my best friend, Emma, she's just the best!

But the problem is, that my plan started going to shit pretty early on, and once one thing failed and I broke up with Brad, then came the doubts, and with the doubts, came the changes.

And with that, I was pushed to step out of my comfort zone.

✢✢✢ 

Forests have four different layers.

 The bottom one is called the forest floor, home to the short vegetation and dead leaves. On top of it lies the understory, full of bush and shrub, and then comes the canopy, where the tops of the trees are. Above it all, raises the emergent layer, where it's said only the strongest trees can grow.

Why is this relevant? Because I like to think this story is like a tree growing slowly in the woods, all the way from the ground up. And it starts with Sam, feeling trapped in the darkness of the forest floor of her life; with so many things she doesn't know, that she can't see.

So turn the page, and step onto the forest.

---
Note: If you read this and enjoyed it, please leave a comment and let me know! I'd love your imput!
This is the second book I write, but the first I publish, so a lot of love and research has gone into it💕